British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Mary, Brading

Description: Church of St Mary

Grade: I
Date Listed: 18 January 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 310087

OS Grid Reference: SZ6066287316
OS Grid Coordinates: 460662, 87316
Latitude/Longitude: 50.6824, -1.1427

Locality: Brading
County: Isle of Wight
Country: England
Postcode: PO36 0DQ

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

SZ6086 HIGH STREET (East side)
1352-0/6/42 Church of St Mary
Parish church. Nave of c1200, North and South aisles C13 with
C15 windows, chancel and west Tower C13, south porch and north
and south chapels C15, the chancel lengthened to the east in
1865 when the church was restored by the Oglander family.
Built of Isle of Wight stone rubble with stone steeple and
tiled roof. West Tower late C13 of 3 stages with processional
way through from north to south. West north and south arches
have large chamfers. Middle stage has double lancet under one
pointed arch. Pseudo-machicolations and stone recessed spire
with iron weathercock. External wooden ladder to bell chamber.
North aisle has C13 west lancets and 3 Perpendicular double
cinquefoil-headed lights with dripmould and pointed arched
doorcase. Roof has 4 pseudo-gables, C19 brick ridge tiles and
cross-shaped saddle stone. South aisle has 4 triple
cinquefoil-headed lights in arched surround with dripmoulding
and central C15 gabled south porch, not used as such at time
of survey with cross-shaped saddlestone, offset buttresses and
arched doorcase with hood moulding. South or Oglander chapel
has 2 triple cinquefoil-headed lights in arched heads with
dripmoulds divided by buttress and cross-shaped saddlestone.
Chancel has gable end of 1866 with triple lancet having
elaborate floral corbel stops. North or De Aula chapel has 2
C15 cinquefoil-headed lights in arched surround, buttresses
and C13 arched doorway.
Interior: nave has North and South arcades of c1200 with round
piers and multi-scalloped capitals having square abaci with
chamfered corners. Roof of Nave and aisles is of 1866. 3
wooden hatchments in North aisle. Small octagonal stone font
lead lined and dated 1631. Larger square stone font, the upper
part appearing to be made out of a stone capital of c1200, the
base C19. Parish chest, oak with stylized wooden claws dated
Anno 1634 with initials DN and IF. North aisle east end has
tomb to Elizabeth T A Rollo d 1875, marble effigy of a child
asleep on a mattress. 3 C18 basalt tomb slabs in floor.
Chancel has 2 bay arcade to south or Oglander Chapel has piers
of 8 shafts and 8 hollows section and 4 centred arches of
complex moulding. North aisle has 2 bay arcade with plain
octagonal piers but similar arches to south chapel. C12 pillar
piscina with spiral decoration on south wall. One C18 black
basalt tomb slab and Purbeck stone slab to John Curwen
Constable of Porchester d 1441 with figure in armour and
elaborate canopy inperspective. C17 oak communion table.
South or Oglander chapel is notable for its monuments, one of
the finest collections in the Isle of Wight. Nunwell House was
the family seat. North wall has tomb of Sir Oliver Oglander,
Lieutenant Governor of Guernsey d 1536. Tomb chest
incorporating under cinquefoil-headed arches a kneeling
father, 4 sons, wife and 3 daughters. Adjoining to east is
tomb of Sir John Oglander the Diarist d 1655. Oak recumbant
figure on half rolled up mat in full armour with crossed legs
and heraldic lion in imitation of C14 effigies, the whole on
stone tomb chest. Above in round-headed stone niche is a small
monument to his son George Oglander d 1632, also an oak
recumbant effigy on half-rolled mat. South wall has tomb of
Sir William Oglander d 1608. oak recumbant effigy in attitude
of prayer on half rolled up mat with heraldic lion at feet,
the whole on stone tomb chest. Adjoining to west is tomb of
Sir John Oglander d 1483, stone chest tomb with quatrefoil and
arch decoration with blank shields. To west of this is the
tomb of Sir Henry Oglander d 1874, chest tomb in Arts and
Crafts Jacobean style designed by J C Powell 1897 of marble
alabaster and mosaic with 2 small white angels at the front by
Henry Pegson. 6 C18 basalt tomb slabs to members of the
Oglander family. 1 hatchment. C19 roof dated 1866 with row of
shields in cornice. North or De Aula chapel has 2 chest tombs.
In south wall a stone tomb chest with 3 cusped lozenges to
William Howlys d 1520, in north wall an almost identical chest
tomb to his wife Elizabeth.
(Buildings of England:Lloyd D:Hampshire and the Isle of

Listing NGR: SZ6066187316

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.