Description: Church of St Nicholas
Date Listed: 27 February 1958
English Heritage Building ID: 311253
OS Grid Reference: SU0985573546
OS Grid Coordinates: 409855, 173546
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4608, -1.8595
SU 07 SE BERWICK BASSETT -
5/1 Church of St. Nicholas
Redundant parish church. C15, C18 and restored 1857 by T.H.
Wyatt. Nave of sarsen with limestone dressings, stone and
concrete tiled roof. Chancel brick on sarsen footings, stone
tiled roof. Nave, with south bell-tower porch, and chancel.
Windows 2-light with slightly cusped square heads and 3-light west
window. Chancel windows lancets with stone dressings, perhaps
reset, and quatrefoil in east gable. Tower porch C19 with angle
buttresses and 2-light bell openings, parapet and pyramidal tiled
roof. Two centred arched south door with heavy hoodmould.
Interior: Nave has open roof of 3½ bays, with subsidiary trusses
dividing each bay. Walls C19 rendering, whitewashed. Trefoiled
piscina. Wide chancel arch to chancel with trussed rafter roof.
C19 tile pavings. Fittings: C13 octagonal font with trefoiled
panels. C19 pulpit, oak on stone base. Good chancel screen,
C15, with narrow traceried panels and carved frieze and crestings,
no door. C19 altar rail and mid C19 pews. Monuments: In nave,
4 wall tablets. On north side a limestone tablet of 1776 to Henry
Webb, long inscription. White marble tablet on grey, to Elizabeth
Nalder, died 1835. John Nalder, died 1794 and tablet of 1919.
(Pevsner, Buildings of England - Wiltshire)
Listing NGR: SU0985573546
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.