Description: Church of St Lawrence
Date Listed: 18 April 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 312528
OS Grid Reference: ST8241960914
OS Grid Coordinates: 382419, 160914
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3470, -2.2538
BRADFORD ON AVON
875/2/15 CHURCH STREET
18-APR-52 (North side)
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
This building is of exceptional archaeological value and until the discovery,
in 1856, of its ecclesiastical origin by Canon Jones of Bradford, had
been in use as a "skull house" and then as a free School. Saxon, C10.
(Some authorities give C8 but present appearance suggests the later date.)
Consisting of:- Nave (25ft long x 13ft wide) Chancel (13ft long x 10ft
6in. wide) and north porch. Feature of building is its great height in
relation to area. Coursed rubble with some ashlar, all roofs high-pitched
with stone tiles. Nave exterior in 3 stages separated by plain string
courses and plinth course. Lower stage plain except for vertical pilaster
strips joining plinth and string courses. Middle stage has arcading
feature consisting of pilasters supporting surface decoration in form
of semi-circular arches. Upper stage plain. East gable of nave shows
traces of upper arcading with reedmoulded pilasters. South wall has narrow
round-headed doorway with pilaster strips and imposts, and round-headed
double-splay window in lower stage. Chancel in 2 stages, lower with vertical
pilasters, and has plinth and string courses with arcading in upper stages
carried right round from nave. Double-splayed round-headed windows in
south wall. Plain gable. North porch in 2 stages with plinth and string
courses, vertical pilasters but no arcading. Remains of reeded pilaster
in gable. Narrow round-headed dooorway with pilaster strip surround and
imposts. Doorway off-set from centre of porch towards western wall.
Interior plain with chancel floor at lower level than that of nave and
chancel arch of typical Saxon type.
All the listed buildings in Church Street the Chantry Little Chantry,
Barton Orchard and the Catholic Church of St Thomas More, Market Street
form a group with Nos 7 and 9 to 19 Barton Orchard, Nos 5 and 6 and 27
to 31 (consec) and wall Newtown.
Listing NGR: ST8241860915
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.