Description: Sir James Thynne House with Front Walls and Gate Piers
Date Listed: 11 September 1969
English Heritage Building ID: 313400
OS Grid Reference: ST8670141260
OS Grid Coordinates: 386701, 141260
Latitude/Longitude: 51.1704, -2.1916
LONGBRIDGE DEVERILL CHURCH STREET
ST 84 SE
3/179 Sir James Thynne House with
front walls and gate piers
11.9.69 (formerly listed as Almshouses)
Almshouse. Founded 1655 by Sir James Thynne. Rubble stone, stone
slate roof, stone stacks removed in 1980s. Gable end to road,
central through passage. Two storey, 5-windowed; casements.
Three planked doors with strap hinges and slated canopies, in
moulded stone architraves. First floor has central 4-light ovolo-
moulded mullioned and transomed window with 2-light ovolo-mullioned
casement and 3-light mullioned and transomed window either side;
three large gables with saddleback coping and ball finials. Left
return has C20 four-light mullioned casement to ground floor, 3-
light mullioned and transomed window to first floor, wooden clock
face projecting from gable on carved bracket with hipped tiled
roof, louvred bellcote with tiled pyramidal roof and ball finial,
both probably C19. Rear has central planked door in moulded
architrave with hoodmould, 2-light recessed chamfered mullioned
casement either side, first floor has two 2-light ovolo-mullioned
casements with hoodmoulds, in between three large gables, formerly
to stacks. Right return has 4-light ovolo-mullioned casement to
ground floor, 3-light mullioned and transomed window to first and
2-light mullioned window to attic, all with hoodmoulds.
Interior retains original features, despite 1980s modernisation.
Ground floor has chamfered beams, stone floor to through passage,
moulded plank and muntin partitions, planked and studded doors in
doorcases with ogee chamfers and stops. Two closed string
staircases with moulded handrails and square chamfered newels.
Ground and first floor have square chamfered stone fireplaces with
plain mantels. Attached to front are rubble stone walls with
pitched coping, square gate piers with pyramidal stone cappings
and ball finials, possibly C19. Founded by Sir James Thynne, of
Longleat House (q.v. Horningsham CP).
Listing NGR: ST8670141260
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.