Description: Studley Mill, Principal Factory
Date Listed: 16 October 1974
English Heritage Building ID: 314156
OS Grid Reference: ST8536257925
OS Grid Coordinates: 385362, 157925
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3202, -2.2114
(South East Side)
(formerly listed as
Main Tower Block)
ST 8557 6/50C 16.10.74.
1860 built for Clarks by Charles and Richard Gane (local builders). Large 4 storeyed
brick building with stone cill bands, gutter corbels and window head decoration.
8 by 6, and 6 by 5 bays, buttressed up to 3rd storey. Obtuse headed windows, narrower
and doubled on top floor. Stone eaves band to hipped slate roof. Hoist tower
and staircase on north corner, polygonal to north west and with an extra storey.
Obtuse headed hoist openings. Blind arcade to north west with a cill band having
rams' head brackets. Modillion cornice and band to flat roof (formerly pyramidal).
Nos. 50 to 58 (consec), workshop at rear of No 58, entrance screen principal Factory
and Handle House at Studley Mills form a group.
Listing NGR: ST8536257925
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.