Description: Woolmore Farmhouse
Date Listed: 13 February 1985
English Heritage Building ID: 314395
OS Grid Reference: ST9163062493
OS Grid Coordinates: 391630, 162493
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3614, -2.1216
ST 96 NW MELKSHAM WITHOUT BOWERHILL
4/178 Woolmore Farmhouse
Farmhouse. G.M.H.. 1631 on tablet below central first floor window.
English bond brick with ashlar quoins, 4-span roof has stone slates
to front pitches and pantiles to rear pitches, saddleback coped
verges and finials to gables. 4 brick stacks to central valley.
Square plan. 2 storeys with attic, 3-windowed symmetrical facades.
Central planked door has moulded Tudor arched surround, with stops
to jambs and 2-light hollow chamfered mullioned window over; string
course is raised above whole. To either side are 4-light mullioned
and transomed windows with king mullions and leaded glass.
Relieving arches over all windows to ground and first floors.
Central cross window with 3-light mullioned and transomed windows
either side to first floor, string course over. Left return is
same as front without central door, ground floor left and first
floor cross window are blocked, attached stone wash house to left.
4 attic gables each have one 2-light hollow mullioned window with
drip mould; all are blocked. Right return is same but with central
chamfered door case and planked door, inside C20 lean-to porch,
blocked 4-light mullioned and transomed window to right. Rear is
same as front but with 3-light flat mullioned window to left of
door and 3-light cyma mullioned window to right.
Interior: cross passage from front to rear. Front room to left has
large Tudor fireplace with cornice and herringbone brick back,
doors are narrow panelled oak, one with fine carved border. Rear
left room has Victorian marble fireplace. No C17 ceiling beams are
exposed; lowered ceilings throughout. Narrow rear stairs to first
floor which retains more interesting features: rooms to front right
and rear right contain large stone Tudor fireplaces with cornices
over. Centrally placed on side walls and adjacent to front and
rear rooms are garderobe chambers with narrow panelled oak doors.
Square beaded panelled oak cupboards, possibly for spices, in front
right bedroom. Blocked fireplaces in front and rear left rooms.
Roof trusses all replaced c1926 following a fire. Brickwork
restored c1903. Built for George Hulbert, a London vintner.
(V.C.H. Wiltshire, Vol. 7, 1953).
Listing NGR: ST9163062493
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.