British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

South Wraxall Manor, with Garden Wall to South, South Wraxall

Description: South Wraxall Manor, with Garden Wall to South

Grade: I
Date Listed: 13 November 1962
English Heritage Building ID: 314616

OS Grid Reference: ST8331265463
OS Grid Coordinates: 383312, 165463
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3880, -2.2412

Location: South Wraxall, Wiltshire BA15 2SD

Locality: South Wraxall
County: Wiltshire
Country: England
Postcode: BA15 2SD

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text


2/170 South Wraxall Manor, with garden
wall to south


Manor house. Early C15 for Long family, altered late C16 and C17,
c1700 and restored c1900 by A.C. Martin for E. Richardson Cox.
Random rubble stone, stone slate roof with stone stacks. Plan: 4-
bay hall with screens passage on east side of courtyard, services
now to north range with gatehouse to south. Single-storey with
attic, 8-window hall range has 2-storey porch to right with moulded
Tudor-arched opening with hoodmould, diagonal buttresses, 2-light
Perpendicular window over and to left side, cornice with gargoyles
to parapet, hall to left has 2-light Perpendicular window, large
gabled stack, square bay with 3-light Perpendicular window to
ground floor and square-headed window with tracery over, moulded
cornice with gargoyles to parapet, late C16 gabled addition to left
has two mullioned casements to cellar, large 8-light mullioned and
transomed window to main floor and 3-light mullioned casement to
attic, another gabled bay to left has 4-light mullioned and
transomed window with 3-light attic mullioned casement, saddleback
coping. To right of hall is gable end of former services with C17
mullioned casements, gatehouse range projecting to right has
lateral stack, 2-light mullioned casements with cusped arched
lights and one 3-light mullioned casement to first floor, early C20
elliptical archway to right, gabled dormer with 2-light mullioned
casement. Throughway below gatehouse has blocked doorway and
winding stairs to upper floor, south side of this range has C20
double panelled doors to gabled gatehouse, hoodmould with lozenge
terminals over elliptical archway, C15 oriel window with cusped
lights over, diagonal buttresses, projection on east side for
stairs, early C20 square bay with mullioned casement to right.
South side of former service range has buttresses with offsets, C17
three-light and 2-light mullioned casements, one pointed window
with Y tracery to ground floor, rear has early C20 added 2-storey
corridor with formerly open 4-bay loggia to ground floor, studded
timber-framed first floor with Ionic pilasters, wood mullioned
casements. Rear of hall range has square stair turret with 4-light
cross window with cusped arched lights, 3-light Perpendicular
window either side and square light to first floor, wing projecting
to right has 12-pane sashes in moulded architraves, round-arched
half-glazed door to north side and large 8-light mullioned and
transomed window with hipped roof to right (lighting rear of dining
room). North range has Tudor-arched doorway left of centre,
blocked pointed doorway and planked door to right, lateral stack,
2-light mullioned casements with cusped arched lights and
hoodmoulds, projecting stair turret to left. Left return of north
range has 3-light mullioned casements with arched lights to ground
and first floors, rear has C20 door to right part, now offices, 2-
light mullioned casement with cusped lights to left, first floor
has inserted C20 steel casement and mullioned casement, early C20
parallel kitchen range attached to left has hipped roof and
mullioned casements, range continues to left with closed 2-bay
loggia and 4-light mullioned and transomed casement to first floor
over and to east gable end, gable end has open 4-bay loggia on
Tuscan columns to ground floor.
Interior: Hall has" original 4-bay open roof; arch-braced collar
trusses, on carved wooden animal corbels, cusped panels between
principals and purlins, stone fireplace dated 1598 with strapwork
overmantel, square surround, late C16 richly-carved wooden screen
at lower end has arched openings, Ionic pilasters, gallery over.
Late C16 passage and stair turret to rear of hall; Perpendicular
windows and buttresses retained on former external wall, C18 stairs
with turned balusters and ramped handrail. Dining room at upper
end of hall, former solar, added by Walter Long late C16; very
fine barrel-vaulted plaster ceiling with thin ribs and pendants,
extravagantly carved stone fireplace with caryatids and figures in
niches with square surround, full wainscot panelling with
pilasters, unusual stone canted projection opposite fireplace with
three shell-headed niches. North east wing drawing room has fine
late C16 stone fireplace with Ionic columns, two strapwork
cartouches to overmantel with Latin inscriptions, full fielded
panelling, shell-headed niche to right of fireplace, bedroom over
has large stone fireplace with two tiers of coupled columns,
overmantel with cartouches. South east wing has 7-bay arch-braced
collar truss roof with wind braced purlins, so-called Raleigh Room
on first floor with linenfold panelling and Tudor-arched fireplace,
stairs to this wing from screens passage are C18 with three turned
or barley-twist balusters per tread, moulded ramped handrail. Good
joinery throughout; C16 moulded doorcases and wainscot doors, some
C18 panelled doors in moulded architraves. Rubble stone walls with
saddleback coping and two moulded Tudor-arched doorways, enclosing
west side of courtyard and continuing to gate piers at south
entrance (q,v.). Robert Long owned the Manor here in 1433; this
building may be a C15 rebuilding of the Manor on a new site,
Manor Farmhouse (q.v.) possibly representing the C14 manor house.
Robert Long was M.P. for Wiltshire in mid C15, the Long family held
the property until early C20.
(Country Life, March 26, 1904; January 14, 1905; N. Pevsner, The
Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975)

Listing NGR: ST8331265463

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.