Description: Church of the Holy Rood
Date Listed: 28 October 1959
English Heritage Building ID: 315797
OS Grid Reference: ST9340283393
OS Grid Coordinates: 393402, 183393
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5494, -2.0965
ST 98 SW ST PAUL MALMESBURY THE STREET, Rodbourne
WITHOUT (north side)
8/171 Church of the Holy Rood
Anglican parish church. C12 (nave), C13 (chancel), C15 (south
porch), 1849 alterations, 1862 south-west tower, 1903 repairs.
Coursed rubble to nave and chancel, squared and coursed rubble to
tower, stone dressings, ashlar to south face of south porch and
buttresses, stone slate roofs. Nave, chancel, south-west tower,
south-west baptistry and south porch. Nave south side has one 2-
light chamfered mullion under flat head, central buttress with set-
off and 2-light C19 Perpendicular style window to right. North
side has C12 doorway with square abaci and tympanum with incised
cross and hoodmould: plank door; single light to left. Chancel
south side has triangular-arched doorway with plank door and a 2-
light C15 style C19 window. North side has a 2-light C14 style
window with face stops to hoodmould. Two-light C13 east window
under pointed head. Three-stage tower with saddleback roof,
moulded string courses and single, 2 and 3-light C13 style windows.
East: doorway and crosses to gable apexes. Gabled baptistry with 2-
light C13 style window. Gabled south porch wth Tudor-arched
doorway with coved spandrels, embattled fret above and plank door;
inner south doorway with round-headed arch and C12 tympanum with
rustic Tree of Life carving and plank door.
Interior. Open rafter roofs throughout. Fittings. C14 style C19
font to baptistry; several wall tablets to nave north and south
walls; C13 statue niche with crocketed pinnacles to right of north
door. Caroline pulpit, C15 rood screen with C19 restoration.
Chancel has Hungerford Pollen tablets on south wall; trefoil-
headed piscina on south wall. Morris & Co. (1863) stained glass to
east window: Adam and Eve to left designed by Ford Maddox Brown,
Annunciation to right by D.G. Rosetti. Stone seat with
semicircular back probably C13. Decalogue boards under tower.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975)
Listing NGR: ST9340283393
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.