Description: Dauntsey House
Date Listed: 12 December 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 316314
OS Grid Reference: ST9796982514
OS Grid Coordinates: 397969, 182514
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5415, -2.0307
DAUNTSEY CHURCH LANE
ST 98 SE
3/188 Dauntsey House
Country house, C14 core, remodelled late C17 or early C18 and again
c1800 when recased in ashlar. North end range reduced in mid C20.
Stone slate roofs, ashlar stacks. Two storeys and attic, L-plan
main house with north east service range. Main south and west
fronts are similar with raised plinth, angle piers, band, moulded
cornice and parapet. Twelve-pane sashes with thick glazing bars,
renewed c1900. Four-window south front has parapet pierced to
light four gabled dormers, and floor-length ground floor windows.
Coped gables and end stacks. East end wall is roughcast rubble
stone with ashlar gable. Traces of ancient masonry found under
roughcast. West end wall is ashlar, two-window range matching
formal seven-window main west front attached to left. Seven-
window range has centre large double doors with heavy Roman Doric
pilasters framing and stone shelf over. Matching single storey 2-
window north end addition screens garage. North end and ridge
stacks. Rear east front is ashlar with centre first floor Venetian
window between two 12-pane sashes and ground floor 4-window range
of sashes and French windows. North east range, partly ashlar,
rendered to north with single storey kitchen range to east.
Interiors: four massive 32' raised cruck trusses are in roof of
rear range, over dining room, but present interiors are remarkable
for quality of c1800 decoration. Entrance hall has c1800 archway
with sidelights to rear hall which has bottom flight of c1800 stair
to left, the open-well stair-hall to north now with inserted floor,
and, to right, fine Ionic doorcase to dining room. Room to south
of entrance hall has inserted mahogany staircase, probably later
Cl9. South end range has outstanding c1800 decoration, with
cornices, friezes, wall and dado panels and Ionic doorcases.
Marble carved fireplace. Very large east end double doors in
matching Ionic doorcase to east end ante-room with Adam-style
painted ceiling, still in original colours, and marble fireplace.
To north, panelled dining room in late C17 to early C18 style,
possibly mostly good c1900 imitation, fielded panelled walls
incorporating paintings, panelled shutters, heavily carved north
end doorcase, matching cornice and C20 stone fireplace. Fine
mahogany doors throughout. Dauntsey estate was held by Dauntsey
family in middle ages, passed via the Stradling family to Danvers
family in C16. Henry Danvers, died 1643, was made 1st Earl of
Danby. The estates were sequestered after the restoration because
Sir John Danvers of Baydon, died 1655, was among the regicides and
bestowed c1710 on Charles Mordaunt, Earl of Peterborough and Monmouth,
commander of the allied forces in Spain 1705-7, who died 1735. The
fourth Earl died 1779 and the fifth and last Earl, for whom the
house was refronted, died 1819. In the later C19 owned by Sir H.
Meux, sold 1910.
(N. Pevsner Wiltshire 1975; Aubrey and Jackson Wiltshire
Colections 1862 216-228; J. Britton Beauties of Wiltshire 1825
Listing NGR: ST9796982514
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.