Description: Church of St James
Date Listed: 17 April 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 317901
OS Grid Reference: SU1275597197
OS Grid Coordinates: 412755, 197197
Latitude/Longitude: 51.6734, -1.8169
SU 19 NW MARSTON MEYSEY THE STREET
2/252 Church of St. James
Anglican parish church, 1874-6 by James Brooks, replacing 2-cell
church of 1648. Coursed limestone rubble, stone slate roof. Nave
and chancel in 1 vessel and north vestry. Door in west end of
south wall; pair of doors within splayed jambs set forward from
wall face, and having 5 near-round chamfered arches and a hood
mould. Lancet windows above a continuous string, also nearly
round-headed with hoods. Similar but larger window at west end,
triple lancets at east, with roundel vents over. Rose window with
nail-head in west gable. Shallow buttresses define chancel.
Arched opening in west gable apex contains bell. Vestry on north
side with shouldered door under extension of roof. Tall chimney.
Interior: Unplastered. Barrel boarded vault to nave. Chancel
raised up 2 steps, the arch chamfered and with hood moulding, on
corbels. Low screen wall faced with panels of encaustic tiles.
Chancel of 2 bays, rectangular ribbed vault of stone on attached
wall shafts. Capitals and ribs have nail-head decoration. Broad
reveals to east window. Fittings: Octagonal font in coloured
stones in south-west corner. Pulpit in banded limestone and
sandstone pierced with quatrefoils and cantilevered from chancel
screen. Piscina in arched recess in window jamb, the sill of which
is lowered as simple sedilia. Brass sanctuary rail. Piscina in
east window of vestry. Good glass of 1880-90 by Baguley of
Newcastle on Tyne. Monuments: In nave, limestone wall memorial,
C20 in form of low relief aedicule. A modest but carefully
conceived and detailed design.
Listing NGR: SU1275597197
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.