Description: Parish Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 26 January 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 318194
OS Grid Reference: SU2436583729
OS Grid Coordinates: 424365, 183729
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5519, -1.6500
5410 BISHOPSTONE CHURCH WALK
Parish Church of
SU 2483 28/6 26.1.55
Heavily restored 1868 and 1883 (see rainwater heads). Mostly perpendicular
in style with vestiges of Norman and Decorated periods.
West tower, 3 bay aisled nave with stepped buttresses, lower 2 bay chancel with
stepped diagonal buttresses. Built of random rubble and ashlar on moulded plinth.
Lead roofs. Two and three light square headed windows with labels and foiled
heads. Two light clerestory (possibly rebuilt 1883) to south. Quatrefoil parapet
to aisles (of St Michael's Highworth). To north: aisle windows have set back
chamfer surrounds; north porch entrance appears circa 1200 and probably reset.
In the chancel a very ornate reset small Norman doorway with horizontal chevron
ornament. East window of south aisle has early C14 reticulated tracery.
Crenellated west tower with diagonal buttresses and 3 set offs above plinth
level; angled stair turret to south-east. Gargoyles to cornice. Two light
and trefoil belfry windows. Clock to south. West door 1883 with usual Tudor
arch trimmings and large 3 light perpendicular style window over.
Interior: 3 bay 4 centred arcade, (one bay shorter to north for porch), undulating
section to shafts. Organ over steep 4 centred chancel arch. C14 head stop
reset to east of north arcade. Three C12 (probably) masks formerly on an order
round a doorway reset above south door. late Norman font with tongued scallops
forming bowl on dog-tooth fillet; clustered shafts form the stem. The lectern,
pulpit, parclose screens to east of aisles and to tower are good examples of
Gothic (C19) carving. Marble tablet to Edith and Chris Willoughby (died 1673)
with broken segmental pediment in chancel. Fragments of mediaeval stained glass.
In the churchyard a number of C18 and early C19 headstones and a few early C19
Listing NGR: SU2436683728
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.