Description: The Close Wall
Date Listed: 28 February 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 318956
OS Grid Reference: SU1453929534
OS Grid Coordinates: 414539, 129534
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0650, -1.7939
The Close Wall
SU 1429 NW 3/1A
SU 1429 NE 4/1A
SU 1429 SW 5/1A
SU 1429 SE 6/1A 28.2.52.
The Close Wall is virtually intact on the south, east and north sides of the
Close Land. The date of a building probably 1331, which Edward III granted
permission to use material remaining at Old Sarum for the purpose.
To the south in the Close itself the wall runs from the South on Harnham Gate
qv, behind No 72 and 73 qv The Close extending west for approximately 208
ft then returning north to entrance of No 71 (South Canonry) qv for 119 ft.
All this part has been rebuilt partly at later date, approximately 6 ft high,
flint rubble with brick bands with tiled coping.
From No 74 (Southgate House) The Close qv to the rear of No 4 St Nicholas's
Road qv, a stretch with walkway, 322 ft ashlar blocks, approximately 10 ft
high, no crenellation. A short break of some 10 ft rebuilt with stone-flint
rubble and brick, then one of the most complete sections of the original wall
running to the corner of Exeter Street qv and returned along this street to
the level of the Brickett's Hospital on the opposite side, approximately 740
ft with short return section back into Close. Crenellated with walkway ashlar
blocks, numerous small Norman panels from Old Sarum carved with flowers, chevrons
etc. At the very end of this section, nearly level with Brickett's Hospital
a projecting platform on 5 large stone brackets. The following section along
Exeter Street up to the Bishop's Gate qv The Close, has had some alterations
and is lower, no crenellation, stone and flint panels and some brickwork.
Tiled coping to 1st lower section of some 30 ft. From Bishop's Gate to point
level with No 82 Exeter Street, approximately 416 ft, the wall is about 6
ft high with tiled coping, stone with some Norman Old Sarum decorated panels.
From this point to St Anne's Gate qv the wall is original height with crenellations
and walkway, approximately 208 ft. Another intact and similar crenellated
section from St Anne's Gate along St John's Street qv to the north east corner
of the Close Lane, some 160 ft.To the north the wall is lower and has been
partly rebuilt and patched at various dates, stone rubble, some flint panelling,
brick bands and capping. On this side it is largely concealed as it forms
the boundary wall between the houses on the north side of the Close and those
that back onti it from the south side of New Street qv and Crane Street qv.
From east to west: on New Street it forms the south boundary wall of Alexander
House, Nos 1 to 49 (odd) and the College of Art for approximately 730 ft.
Continued as the south boundary wall of No 47 High Streetqv for approximately
100 ft until it runs into Nos 48-48A The Close qv and the North Gate. At
this end part of ditch remains. On the Close side the wall forms the north
boundary of Nos 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 32 and 48-48A qv.
To the west of the North Gate on the Close side it runs at the back of No
33A, Mompesson House and No 54 qv for 312 ft. Another stretch with walkway
approximately 208 ft to the north of Nos 56A and 56B The Close continued
by lower rebuilt walling with lean-to additions down to the Avon. On the north
side the wall forms the north boundary of No 64 Higb Street qv and then on
Crane Street qv Nos 87, 89, 91, 95, 97 and 99 and 101 (Church House and Audley
All the listed buildings in the Close form an outstanding group.
Listing NGR: SU1423429762
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.