Description: Mompesson House
Date Listed: 28 February 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 319028
OS Grid Reference: SU1422829731
OS Grid Coordinates: 414228, 129731
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0667, -1.7983
Mompesson House & No 53
SU 1429 NW 3/19 28.2.52
(Mompesson House now owned by National Trust, former service wing to right
now separate property No 53). Built for Sir Thomas Mompesson 1704 date on
east lead rain water heads. 2 storey and attic. Ashlar stone on projecting
plinth. Raised lst floor string. Moulded and bracketed cornice, broken forward
over 1st floor central window. Hipped old tile roof. 3 dormers with moulded
wood cornice and small paned sashes. 7 windows on 1st floor the central
window with raised architrave surround, moulded cill on raised apron and supporting
side scrolls with carved enrichment. 6 windows on ground floor and central
8 panel door, egg-and-tongue enrichment round panels, in moulded and enriched
wood frame, with bold stone bolection surround, moulded cornice and broken
curved pediment, with central cartouche and carved supporting swags, all supported
on carved scroll brackets. The windows flanking central bay are 2 panes wide,
remainder 3 panes.
Exceptionally fine interior of contemporary panelling, staircase and enriched
(Illustrated Nathanial Lloyds' - History of the English House).
Later service wing to right hand 2 storey, brick with moulded stone cornice,
and brick parapet with recessed panels over windows and moulded stone coping.
5 windows on 1st floor, 4 windows on ground floor and 8-panel door to right
hand in wood Doric doorcase, pilasters triglyph frieze and modillioned cornice
and pediment. This block terminated at right hand with slightly projecting
bay with similar cornice broken over and carried in pediment. 3-centred arched
entry with chamfered stone surround and triple key block and lodged doors,
with panelled door head. Semi-circular 3-light window in tympanum.
All the listed buildings in the Close form an outstanding group.
Listing NGR: SU1422329733
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.