Description: Wren Hall
Date Listed: 28 February 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 319039
OS Grid Reference: SU1415929711
OS Grid Coordinates: 414159, 129711
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0666, -1.7993
No 56C (Wren Hall)
[Formerly listed as No 57
SU 1429 NW 3/15 28.2.52.
Originally north wing of Braybrook House No 57 qv. Rebuilt 1714 under direction
of Naish Thomas Clerk of Works (doubtful attribution to Sir C Wren). 1 storey
and semi-basement. Brick on stone plinth with moulded and coved stone cornice.
Hipped old tile roof with 3 hipped dormer leaded casements. 4 tall 3-centred
arched windows, with chamfered and bonded stone Jambs, and stone architrave
surround to heads with key blocks. 4 2-light windows in basement. Central
6-Panel door in bonded chamfered stone surround with voussoir head, under
wide projecting flat hood with concave curved lead roof carried up to a point
and under oval window with moulded stone surround and quadrant blocks.
Plain stone brackets under hood. Flight of 6 stone steps with plain wrought
iron guard rails to door. Recessed bay with one window on first floor and
narrower ground floor window and secondary door to left hand. The interior
is one large school room with original panelled dado and master's desk. Medieaval
cellars survive. The foundation of school is C13. Alexander de Hemmingsby
is the first Custos of the school on record. He was Canon from 1304 to 1334
and lived in the adjoining Braybrooke House, No 57 qv.
All the listed buildings in the Close form an outstanding group.
Listing NGR: SU1415929712
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.