Description: 68, the Close
Date Listed: 28 February 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 319056
OS Grid Reference: SU1411529412
OS Grid Coordinates: 414115, 129412
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0639, -1.7999
SU 1429 SW 5/7 28.2.52.
Site of early canonical house known in C16 as "Myles Place". Rebuilt 1720
and stateliest house in the Close. 3 storey and semi-basement. Ashlar stone
east front with projecting plinth up to ground floor level, forming base to
4 Doric pilasters (at corners and flanking 3 centre bays which have slight
projection) carried up 2 storeys with moulded entablature, broken forward
over pilasters, the top of cornice forming sill to 2nd floor windows, which
are in tall attic crowned with string and with the pilaster lines carried up
to coping of tall parapet over attic storey.
The pilasters have egg-and-tongue carving to caps. Old tile roof. 7 windows
to upper floors. 6 windows on ground floor. Ground and 1st floor windows
have moulded cills and triple keystones. 6 2-light semi-basement casement
windows. Tall 10-panel central door with Lions' head knocker and 4-pane rectangular
fanlight in plain stone surround with projecting key block. Stone doorcase
of fluted Corinthian pilasters, broken entablature and segmental pediment
with small shield and supporting swags in tympanum. The door approached by
double flight of 12 stone steps curved outwards at bottom, with solid balustrades
elaborately worked out to give scale and distance by false perspective of
diminishing heights between projecting piers at the different levels of stair
and varying heights of the coping.
The west garden elevation is red brick with stone dressings and also has giant
pilasters with egg and dart moulding to caps. Similar fenestration and details
as on main front. Central glazed door to raised ground floor with thick bar
lattice glazing pattern similar to that in door of Summerhouse in garden of
No 15 The Close qv. Flight of steps with iron balustrade down to garden.
North side of house has later C18 porch with fluted Roman Doric columns and
wall pilasters, entablature and rendered rectangular bay with 1 window, added
above. Interior has large entrance hall containing staircase and balcony round
at 1st floor level, open string thin turned balusters. Inlay work on landing.
Panelling and back doorway with open pediment on fluted pilasters. Angle
fireplace to rear room. Good plaster ceiling to 1st floor drawing room, small
stone fireplace flanked by pilasters.
All the listed buildings in the Close form an outstanding group.
Listing NGR: SU1411129408
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.