Description: Church of St Andrew
Date Listed: 23 March 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 319530
OS Grid Reference: SU1593226044
OS Grid Coordinates: 415932, 126044
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0335, -1.7742
SU 12 NE ODSTOCK NUNTON VILLAGE
5/149 Church of St. Andrew
Anglican church. C12 and C13, rebuilt 1854-5 by T. H. Wyatt.
Knapped flint with limestone dressings and some brick banding,
tiled roof with coped verges and finials. Consists of rebuilt 3-
bay nave, south aisle, chancel and Lady Chapel and south porch and
south west tower of 1854, with north vestry and organ chamber
remodelled in 1933. Gabled south porch has inner and outer
pointed doorways with hood mould and foliated terminals. South
aisle has one pair of cusped Iancets and a single cusped lancet
with stone crucifix and 1914-18 war memorial between. Lady Chapel
has pair of C13 cusped lancets and pair of trefoiled lancets, east
window of chapel is pair of cusped lancets. East window of chancel
is 3-light Geometric style with hood mould and foliated terminals.
Vestry has 2-light C16 style window to east and 3-light C16 style
window, chamfered square-headed door and single light to north
side, west window is single cusped lancet. North side of nave has
three 2-light Geometric style windows, all with hood moulds and
foliated terminals. West window of nave is 2-light in Geometric
style with hood mould and foliated terminals, multifoil circular
window over. 3-stage tower has pointed west door with hood mould
and foliated terminals, lancet to 2nd stage and 2-light pointed
unglazed window with plate tracery to north, west and south sides
of 3rd stage, battlement parapet.
Interior: 3-bay nave has arch-braced collar truss roof on stone
corbels. South arcade consists of two double-chamfered pointed
arches on cylindrical piers, of C13, south aisle has collar rafter
roof. Chancel arch is double chamfered and springs from square
piers with unusual palm-carved capitals, possibly C17, chancel has
braced collar-rafter roof. 2-bay Lady Chapel has two chamfered
pointed arches on square piers of late C12 leading to chancel, and
barrel-vaulted roof, plain piscina on south wall. Two double-
chamfered pointed arches lead to vestry of 1933 from chancel.
Fittings include original Victorian pews. Some fine wall tablets
include slate memorial to Charles Hartshorne died 1644, large white
marble memorial with tWo classical female figures to John Batt of
New Hall (died 1831) by Sir R. Westmacott on south wall of nave,
and several tablets to Batt family in Lady Chapel and nave such as
one to Martha Batt died 1765 signed by F. Brown of Salisbury.
Late C19 stained glass in Lady Chapel, east window is signed by
Christopher Webb, 1937. The church has never been a parish
church, but was a Medieval chapel of ease.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975).
Listing NGR: SU1593226044
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.