Description: Church of St Thomas a Becket
Date Listed: 18 February 1958
English Heritage Building ID: 319876
OS Grid Reference: SU0348347989
OS Grid Coordinates: 403483, 147989
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2311, -1.9515
TILSHEAD HIGH STREET
SU 04 NW
1/267 Church of St. Thomas a Becket
Anglican parish church. Early C12 nave and arcades, mid-C13
chancel, C17 and C18 renovations, restoration of 1845-6 by T. H.
Wyatt and D. Brandon, of 1904 by Medlicott. Roughly chequered
flint and limestone, Welsh slate roofs and tiles to conical tower
roof. Consists of chancel, nave, north and south aisles, central
tower, south porch and north vestry, the latter two are of 1845.
South porch is gabled with coped verge and diagonal buttresses,
pointed door with hoodmould and foliated terminals. South aisle
has C19 square-headed window with 2 lights and quatrefoil and
hoodmould to either side of porch, plain parapet. Clerestory with
two C19 quatrefoils. To right is 2-stage tower, buttressed and
with C17 3-light round-arched window with relieving arch to ground
floor, to left is lancet with shutter, bell stage has moulded
offset and louvred round-arched lancet, C17 conical tiled roof with
plain Cl9 parapet. South side chancel has small low lancet to
left, pointed chamfered doorway and two lancets to right, east end
has diagonal buttresses and three lancets with ogee trefoil heads
of c1350, north side has two lancets and small low lancet to right.
North side of tower has C19 2-light C16-style window with
hoodmould, one square-headed window to bellstage. C19 lean-to
vestry has pointed door with foliated terminals to hoodmould and 2-
light C16-style window. North aisle has 3-light C16-style window
with lancet either side, clerestory has two quatrefoils. West end
has diagonal buttresses and trefoiled lancet to north aisle and 3-
light Perpendicular-style window to nave.
Interior: C15 inner south doorway has double-chamfered Tudor arch,
above is ogee-headed niche. 3-bay nave has C19 king-post roof,
braced onto corbels, with arch-bracing to principals, round-arched
arcade on square chamfered piers with plain capitals, C14 ogee-
headed piscina on south wall, Cl9 pointed doorway to vestry in
north aisle. Double-chamfered pointed arches to base of tower
from nave and chancel have square chamfered responds. C17 collar
and tie-beam roof to chancel. Stone floors throughout. Fittings
include cylindrical stone font with zigzag carving of c1100 in
north aisle. C18 Communion rail with turned balusters, stone
pulpit and north aisle pews of 1845, Royal Arms of 1805 above arch
to tower from nave. Fine pair of wall tablets in tower, both
pedimented with carved aprons, on north wall to Margaret Edwards,
died 1755 and on south wall to Rev. John Edwards, died 1782.
Classical marble tablets in nave; to Richard Norris died 1826, to
Margaret Hayward died 1846 and one to Mary Lawes died 1834 and
signed by Osmond of Sarum. The plan and Cll importance of
Tilshead suggest that a Saxon church may have preceded this one.
(Unpublished records of RCHM (England),Salisbury).
Listing NGR: SU0347647988
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.