Description: The Temple of Apollo
Date Listed: 6 January 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 321251
OS Grid Reference: ST7738533831
OS Grid Coordinates: 377385, 133831
Latitude/Longitude: 51.1033, -2.3244
STOURTON WITH GASPER STOURHEAD GARDENS
ST 73 SE
6/145 The Temple of Apollo
(formerly listed as The Sun Temple)
Temple. 1765 by Henry Flitcroft for Henry Hoare, design taken from
a temple in Wood's Ruins of Baalbec, published 1757. Limestone
ashlar. Circular, plinth with 8 steps on side overlooking lake,
twelve Corinthian columns carry a scalloped entablature, each bay
contains a semi-circular niche and oculus, formerly with lead
statues which were moved to Stourhead House (q.v.) in 1903-04.
Double doors with 6 fielded panels, moulded tympanum with
keystones, on north side, flanking niches contain replica statues
dating from 1907-08. Drum with lunettes and cornice to dome, 1950s
replacement of a shallower original.
Interior has painted brick walls, small stone fireplace, originally
contained a large cast of Apollo, lit from above. Flitcroft was
probably influenced by William Chambers' Temple of the Sun at Kew,
1761, a close copy of the Baalbec temple.
(K. Woodbridge, The Stourhead Landscape, 1982)
Listing NGR: ST7738433831
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.