Church of Saint Anne, Catterick
Description: Church of Saint Anne
Date Listed: 4 February 1969
English Heritage Building ID: 322337
OS Grid Reference: SE2401297977
OS Grid Coordinates: 424012, 497977
Latitude/Longitude: 54.3767, -1.6318
Location: Low Green, Catterick, North Yorkshire DL10 7LW
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
There is also a scheduled monument, Pallet Hill Motte and Bailey Castle, 80m North West of St Anne's Church, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Explore more of the area around Catterick, North Yorkshire at Explore Britain.
CATTERICK HIGH GREEN
SE 29 NW
(south side, off)
8/26 Church of Saint Anne
Church. 1412, with later C15 and C19 alterations. By Richard de Crakehall,
master mason, for Katherine de Burgh and William, her son. Coursed
sandstone, Westmorland slate roof. Perpendicular style. West tower, 4-bay
nave with aisles and south porch, 3-bay chancel with side chapels and north
vestry with heating chamber below. Windows have straight-sided pointed
arches and hollow-chamfered surrounds. Tower: 3 stages. Stair turret with
light vents in south-east corner. 3-light west window. Light vents to west
and south sides of ringing chamber with clock. 2-light belfry openings.
Crenellated parapet with corner finials. Nave: south porch: continuously-
moulded pointed-arched doorway. Coats of arms of Aske, de Burgh and
Lascelles families. Sundial in gable. Stone benches inside and small
stoup. Inner doorway: continuously-moulded pointed arch, label with
weathered heads. South aisle: bays divided by shallow stepped buttresses.
2-light windows with cinque-cusping, and labels. Blind parapet.
Clerestory, added C19, has paired quatrefoils. North aisle: small north
doorway with ovolo on chamfer and label, one C19 window and 1 original
window. Cinque-cusped square-headed single-light window to west end of each
aisle. Chancel: south aisle: continuously-moulded pointed-arched priests'
doorway with label, 2-light windows, 3-light east window. Chancel east
window of 5 lights under label with head stops. Above, C19 oculus with 3
lights. North chapel: of later C15; two 3-light square-headed north
windows. Interior: arcades with octagonal columns on square chamfered
broached bases with Perpendicular capitals, and 2 orders of arches, the
outer one hollow chamfered, the inner one chamfered. Matching chancel arch.
Arch from chancel to south chapel of 2 orders, one chamfered. Arch from
chancel to north chapel of 3 chamfered orders. Straight-sided tower arch,
without responds, of 3 chamfered orders, the innermost one hollow. Vaulted
ringing chamber. Piscina in south aisle; 2 ogee niches in north aisle.
Chancel: 3-seat sedilia with ogee canopies, crockets and finials. Vestry
doorway: pointed arch with ovolo on arris and label. Wall monuments in
chancel to Rev Michael Syddal, Vicar of Catterick d1658, who founded the
village school and almshouse; Charles Anthony, 1600-85; Richard Braithwaite,
court poet to James I, d1673. Floor slab in sanctuary to Roger Croft,
d1684. Wall brasses in north chapel, built as a chantry of Saint James, to
the founder, William de Burgh d1492 and wife Elizabeth; floor brasses to
William de Burgh d1442, the builder of the church, and his son William
d1462. C15 7-light wooden screen. South chapel: floor slab to Alice d1659
wife of Christopher Wandesford, Lord Deputy of Ireland. Nave: south aisle:
reset effigy of Sir Walter Urswick, Constable of Richmond Castle in 1371, in
segmental-arched moulded canopy; C15 wooden screen of 6 trefoiled lights.
North aisle: wall monuments to de Burgh and their successor family of
Lawson; also Lawson family hatchments. Black marble octagonal font, with
monogram of founder,
William de Burgh, arms of de Burgh, D'Arcy, Fitzhugh, Scrope and Neville
families, and inscription on stem "CLAR FON" (clear fountain). Parish chest
at west end. Royal coat of arms dated 1769 over tower arch.
Listing NGR: SE2401297976
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.