British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Agatha, Gilling with Hartforth and Sedbury

Description: Church of St Agatha

Grade: I
Date Listed: 4 February 1969
English Heritage Building ID: 323332

OS Grid Reference: NZ1820205154
OS Grid Coordinates: 418202, 505154
Latitude/Longitude: 54.4415, -1.7208

Locality: Gilling with Hartforth and Sedbury
Local Authority: Richmondshire District Council
County: North Yorkshire
Country: England
Postcode: DL10 5JB

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

NZ 1805-1905 AND SEDBURY (west side)
Gilling West
14/118 Church of St Agatha

Church. Late C11, early C14, late C14, late C15, restoration and additions 1845.
Ribble; Welsh slate, stone slate and lead roofs. West tower, nave with south aisle,
south porch, inner and outer north aisles, chancel with vestry to north.
Tower: late C11, raised in late C15, with stair turret added in 1845; 3
stages with chamfered bands in between; quoins; 5-sided stair turret giving
access to ringing chamber, and with pyramidal stone roof; above, chamfered
vesica window; on third stage, blocked round-arched window, and above that
straight-headed double-chamfered belfry opening, formerly with 3 closely-
spaced mullions; crenellated parapet; central weathercock. On west side of
tower, ground-floor segmental-arched hollow-moulded window with 3 pointed
lights and label; second stage blank; third stage as south. North side of
tower is blank except for third stage as south. East side of tower:
octagonal wooden clock face on second stage; third stage as south. Porch:
pointed-arched doorway, made up from fragments, part chamfered, with sundial
above inscribed "Fugit Hora Ora"; hollowed section corbelling out parapet to
flat lead roof; right return has small window; inside porch, bench table to
left with medieval chamfered grave cover of Barningham family who held
Sedbury until 1350 with cross, sword and shield with 3 muzzled bears
rampant, bench table to right with several pre-Conquest carved stones
including Anglian cross head, and medieval fragments; also the C14 south
doorway of nave having double-chamfered continuously-moulded pointed arch
with label. South aisle: early C14; C19 two-light west window with
Decorated-style tracery; two C19 two-light south windows with Decorated-
style tracery and plain parapet; C19 three-light east window with Decorated-
style tracery, Welsh slate roof. South clerestory: late C15; three 2-light
straight-headed windows with pointed lights; plain parapet to flat lead nave
roof. Outer north aisle: 1845; 2-light east window, partly C14, with
reticulated tracery; four C19 2-light north windows with reticulated
tracery; C19 2-light west window with reticulated tracery; Welsh slate roof.
Inner north aisle: 1845; 5-light east window with Decorated-style tracery;
matching west window; Welsh slate roof. North clerestory: late C15,
matching that to south. Chancel (mainly C19): 4 Romanesque-style round-
arched windows with continuous label, and below the third window the
priest's door with rolled round arch and 1 shafted order with waterleaf
capitals; 3 Romanesque-style east windows; in north wall, behind vestry,
blocked Romanesque round arch containing blocked Romanesque round-arched
window. Lean-to vestry: late C14; stone slate roof; pointed-arched east
window with roll on chamfer, divided into 2 by mullion which bisects arch,
and with head stops to label. Interior: late C11 tower arch, semicircular,
of even voussoirs and with simple imposts. South arcade: 3 bays, early C14,
of double-chamfered arches with labels on octagonal piers, with square
bases. Inner north arcade: similar to south arcade but without labels.
Outer north arcade: C19 of 4 bays, matching others in style. Chancel arch:
early C14; double-chamfered 4-centred arch with label; above, 2 corbels.
Chancel, north side: vestry doorway with pointed arch continuously moulded
with roll, hollow and wave, label with carved animal and man on stops;
inside vestry, half-tunnel vault, with 2 sets of diagonal ribs. South
aisle: at east end, head of piscina, and C15 tomb recess with cusped gable
with finial, containing grave cover with 8-armed fleury cross and sword. In
tower, font with circular basin set on 4 shafts with waterleaf capitals.
Nave has C15 roof. Nave: good quality pews, some with old finial ends. C19
reading desk and pulpit. Choir stalls: C19, richly carved, of misericord
style. Mounted in nave on north pier of tower arch: black marble monument
with bas relief figures of Sir Henry Boynton and wife Isabella, died 1531,
with marginal Latin inscription. Set in floor of outer north aisle, black
marble grave cover commemorating another Boynton. In south aisle, wall
monuments include marble tablets above recess to Matthew Raine, Vicar of
Stanwick St John; Mathew Raine d1771 with Greek inscription; Matthew Raine
d1807, Master of Hartforth School and Esther his wife; Matthew Raine d1811,
Headmaster of Charterhouse School from 1791; east of door, marble tablet
commemorating Hon James D'Arcy of Sedbury d1731, framed by fluted pilasters
carrying urns above entablature, and armorial achievement; west of door,
black marble tablet to James D'Arcy (ne Jessop) d1733, grandson of above,
with coat of arms borne by heraldic beasts with volutes. On north wall of
outer north aisle, painted George IV coat of arms dated 1827. Laybourn K,
Historical Notes on the Parish Church of Gilling West, North Yorkshire,
(1979); VCH i, pp 80-82.

Listing NGR: NZ1820005153

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.