Description: Walls Enclosing Garden and Lower Terrace, with North Gate Piers, South Gate Piers and Steps
Date Listed: 10 September 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 324741
OS Grid Reference: SE0117946272
OS Grid Coordinates: 401179, 446272
Latitude/Longitude: 53.9126, -1.9835
SE 04 NW KILDWICK GRANGE ROAD
1/14 Walls enclosing garden and
lower terrace, with north
gate piers, south gate
10.9.54 piers and steps.
Garden walls, gate piers and steps. Mid - late C18 for Haworth Currer or
Dorothy and Richard Richardson, with C19 restoration. Walls of coursed
gritstone rubble with inner face of small hand-made red/brown bricks in
random bond; ashlar quoins and gate piers, gritstone steps. Rectangular
garden approximately 40 x 60 metres and south terrace all on south-sloping
ground. Walling: north wall with central gate piers remains to a height of
approximately 80 centimetres, the moulded coping stones having settings for
wooden or iron railings. The wall ends were demolished C20. The west and
east walls are built to horizontal courses, the slope of the ground
necessitating a ramped reduction in wall height towards the south end.
South wall: central ashlar gate piers approximately 2 metres high, with
shallow pyramidal caps, low wall with brick to south face and pilasters
with moulded coping above, ramped up at each end. Wooden square-section
railings with pyramidal finials to lower wall. South terrace with ha-ha
wall and central narrow board gate, simple stone piers. North gate piers:
approximately 4 metres high with fielded panels to north and south sides,
projecting jambs with inverted consoles, entablature and deep cornice;
formerly surmounted by draped urn finials, removed to courtyard of Kildwick
Hall and separately listed (q.v.). A path and 3 short flights of steps link
the north gateway to the south terrace. The north wall of the garden is
shown in the view of Kildwick Hall published in 1805. The gate piers, urns
and wooden railings were then intact, the railings similar to those on the
south wall. The south terrace ha-ha wall was originally capped by a low
holly hedge, some of the bushes remain, now very overgrown. T. D.
Whitaker, History of Craven, 1805, new edition 1878, p214.
Listing NGR: SE0117946272
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.