Description: Ruined Church of St Andrew
Date Listed: 12 July 1985
English Heritage Building ID: 325951
OS Grid Reference: SE5978847732
OS Grid Coordinates: 459788, 447732
Latitude/Longitude: 53.9223, -1.0911
SE 5847-5947 BISHOPTHORPE CHANTRY LANE
3/36 Ruined Church of
Ruined church. 1768. Attributed to Atkinson for Archbishop Drummond.
Pinkish-orange brick with magnesian limestone ashlar facade. Gothick style.
West wall, foundations of nave, trandsepts and chancel walls and traceried
head of one window now remain. West end: full-height angle buttresses with
off-sets surmounted by crocketed pinnacles. Badly wesathered, Tudor-arched
central doorway under hood-mould, quatrefoils in the spandrels. To either
side, an ogee-headed niche with head stops ornamented it crockets and
finial, that to left containing fluted columnar pedestal with capital and
traces of Gothick decoration in flutes. To first floor: 3-light, pointed
window under hood-mould with head stops and little remaining tracery.
Above: bell turret crocketed to left and with cross at apex.
Listing NGR: SE5978847732
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.