Description: Church of St James
Date Listed: 21 September 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 32737
OS Grid Reference: ST6102757569
OS Grid Coordinates: 361027, 157569
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3159, -2.5606
ST 65 NW CAMELEY CAMELEY ROAD (north side)
6/1 Church of St. James
Parish Church. Late C12, C15 west tower, minor late C19 restoration. Squared,
irregular coursed red and grey sandstone with limestone dressings to tower,
rubble stone and dressed stone copings to nave and chancel, render on nave north
wall. Concrete tiles to nave, slates to chancel and south porch. Nave, chancel,
west tower, south porch. Nave has one perpendicular 2-light window to the south,
2 single light late C19 windows to the north. Chancel has 2 perpendicular
2-light wimdows and doorway to the south, east window 2-light perpendicular with
dripstone. Sundial dated 1698 below eaves on south-east corner of chancel.
Tower of 3 stages with polygonal north-east corner stair turret. Diagonal
buttresses, moulded string courses, embattled parapet to turret, pierced cusped
lozenge frieze and crocketted pinnacles to tower. West facade has 4-centred
arched dooorway, a 3-light window to 1st stage, single light to 2nd stage and to
all 3 faces, 2-light bell openings with dense quatrefoil piercing. South porch
has ironwork gates, south door has Transistional round-headed arch with diagonal
fret, crocket capital to left, trumpet capital to right with some original
colouring. Interior. Nave has C12 chancel arch on square abacii and to the
south-east wall a blocked Transitional arch with damaged roll moulding and
inserted section of Early English tracery. To north-east wall a trilobed cusped
niche. Triple-chamfered arch to tower. Coved plaster roof with ridge rib and
carved bosses. Chancel has late C19 open rafter roof. Fittings. Nave, at the
tower arch, has Norman font with scalloped undersides, roped neck and moulded
plinth. Wooden Jacobean font cover. Fragments of wall paintings (C13 -C17) on
nave north and south walls, chancel arch jambs and a dacalogue over chancel arch.
C15 benches with square-headed ends, polygonal Jacobean pulpit dated 1637 with
arched panels and strapwork, also tester and reading desk. West gallery dated
1711 but with Jacobean style balusters and attached Charles I coat of arms.
3 C18 family box pews and C18 hat racks to nave north and south walls. South
gallery dated 1819. Chancel has early C18 wooden reredos and mid C18 communion
rail. 2 early C19 monuments to Rees-Mogg family on nave north wall. Church was
closed in 1980 and is now redundant. (Pevsner, Buildings of England).
Listing NGR: ST6102857566
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.