Description: Church of St Laurence
Date Listed: 21 September 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 32766
OS Grid Reference: ST5654755974
OS Grid Coordinates: 356547, 155974
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3012, -2.6247
ST 55 NE EAST HARPTREE C.P. CHURCH LANE (west side)
5/28 Church of St. Laurence
Parish church. Late C12, C13, C15 west tower with parapet restored 1633, late
C19 restoration. Coursed sandstone and limestone rubble to tower and south
porch, squared and coursed rubble stone to nave and chancel. Dressed stone
openings, quoins and copings. Concrete tiles to nave, slates to chancel.
Nave, chancel, north aisle, west tower, south porch. Nave south side has
3 Perpendicular windows: one 3-light under pointed head, another 3-light under
straight head and a 4-light with cusped tracery and hoodmould with lozenge stops.
Chancel south side has a single light Decorated window with pointed head and a
2-light Perpendicular window under straight head. Corbel with face under eaves.
East window is of 2 lights: C19 Perpendicular style. C19 lancet and C15
4-centred arched doorway on north side. North aisle has 3-light Perpendicular
windows a 4-central arched doorway and further 3-light window to east wall. Fine
animal gargoyles on string course below parapet. Tower of 3 stages with polygonal
north west corner stair turret with embattled parapet. Diagonal buttresses,
moulded string course to 1st stage, pierced and cusped quatrefoil parapet with
restoration plaque inset and corner crocketted pinnacles. West facade has Tudor
arched doorway with hoodmould, plank door, and above, a 3-light Perpendicular
window with hoodmould. Top 2 stages have 2-light windows with dripstones, those
to bell stage cusped with dense quatrefoil piercing. South porch has one 3-light
Perpendicular window on west side and restored segmental-headed doorway.
Transitional south door with segmental arch and 2 outer mouldings along jambs and
arch, one a roll, the other a crenellation with triangular merlons. Interior.
Nave has C13 six bay arcade with clustered shafts and moulded arches giving onto
north aisle. Triple chamfered tower arch. Piscina with ogee head on south wall
at chancel arch and above, blocked rood loft door. Squint connecting north aisle
with chancel. C13 moulded chancel arch, 2 piscinas with trilobed heads on chancel
south wall, aumbry with panelled Jacobean doors on north wall. Open C19 rafter
roof on C15 embattled wooden wall plate to nave, chancel has C19 wagon roof.
Fittings. Nave has Norman font, some C15 traceried bench ends, Jacobean panelling
under tower arch, polygonal Jacobean pulpit with Jacobean and later panelling on
south wall. Further Jacobean panelling across squint. Fine early C20 War
Memorial window to south wall and C19 stained glass to aisle windows. Late C19
wooden chancel screen. Chancel has fragments of medieval wall painting on reveal
of north window and above east window, late C19 painted censing angels either side
of seated Christ. Also late C19 stencilling and painted foliage on roof. C17
communion rails with turned balusters in 3 separated sections within C19 frames.
C19 stained glass in east window. Monument to Sir John Newton (died 1568) now in
south porch, formerly in church, re-erected 1883. Renaissance style. Effigy on
chest tomb with 2 panels of kneeling mourners: boys on the left, girls on the
right, beneath a canopy on 6 fluted Ionic columns carrying a tall entablature and
projecting moulded cornice with strapwork and classical motifs. Inscription
painted on rear wall in rhyming couplets. (Pevsner, Buildings of England).
Listing NGR: ST5654755974
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.