Description: Cholera Monument, in the Churchyard 15 Metres South of the Church of the Holy Trinity
Date Listed: 2 May 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 32856
OS Grid Reference: ST6499156561
OS Grid Coordinates: 364991, 156561
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3071, -2.5036
PAULTON C.P. CHURCH STREET (south side)
ST 65 NW
1/4 Cholera monument, in the churchyard
and 15 metres south of Church of the
Memorial, boundary and marker stones. Early/mid C19. Freestone, ashlar.
A square enclosure marked by dressed stones, at east stands a 0.5 metre high plain
pointed stone with text: BOUNDARY/OF/CHOLERA/BURIAL/GROUND. At west stands a
pediment topped, ashlar insertion in wall on which an haut relief urn surmounts a
tablet with text: IN MEMORY OF/23 MEN, 23 WOMEN AND 26 CHILDREN/INTERRED WITHIN
THIS ENCLOSURE/WHO FELL VICTIM TO THAT DREADFUL/SCOURGE, ASIATIC CHOLERA, WITH/
WHICH IT PLEASED THE ALMIGHTY TO/VISIT THIS PARISH FROM THE 28TH/SEPTEMBER TO THE
1OTH NOVEMBER/1832. WHEN, UNDER THE DIRECTING/ARM OF A BOUNTIFUL PROVIDENCE/BY
THE SKILL AND ATTENTION OF THE/MEDICAL MEN, AND BY THE CHARITABLE/DONATIONS OF THE
SURROUNDING/NEIGHBOURHOOD, IT CEASED/"AND HE STOOD BETWEEN THE LIVING AND/THE DEAD
AND THE PLAGUE WAS STAYED"/RESTORED, 1966.
Listing NGR: ST6499156561
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.