British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Mary, Nempnett Thrubwell

Description: Church of St Mary

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 21 September 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 32985

OS Grid Reference: ST5328360400
OS Grid Coordinates: 353283, 160400
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3408, -2.6721

Location: Pit Lane, Nempnett Thrubwell, Bath and North East Somerset BS40 8YH

Locality: Nempnett Thrubwell
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Country: England
Postcode: BS40 8YH

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text


2/90 Church of St. Mary
G.V. II*

Parish church. C12 origin, C15, chancel and vestry of 1897. Limestone rubble
with stone dressings, tower of squared rubble, chancel and vestry in ashlar, east
wall of chancel and whole vestry in sandstone, slate roofs with raised coped
verges and cross finials to gables, some double Roman tiles. West tower, nave,
south porch, chancel and north vestry. Part of Norman style south doorway
remaining, Perpendicular style, neo-Decorated style chancel and vestry. 3-stage
tower has pointed arched west door in moulded and hollow-chamfered surround with
hood mould and stops, 3-light Perpendicular window above with cusped heads and
hood mould, 2nd stage has south lancet with cusped head and hood mould, 3rd stage
has 2-light bell-opening to each side with Somerset tracery, pointed arched heads
and hood mould; plinth, set-back weathered buttresses, string courses, gargoyles
to top string, parapet with blank arcading, diagonal shafts to centre of sides and
square pinnacles at corners; south-east stair turret has lancets, embattled
parapet with quatrefoil frieze, ribbed spirelet with cockerel weathervane.
2-bay nave has to north 3-light Perpendicular window with hood mould and narrow
2-light window with cusped heads in Decorated style, set in rectangular surround
with masonry infilling upper part, rubble lean-to in centre with double Roman
tiled roof; hollow-chamfered eaves cornice, rainwater head dated 1897, dressed
stone quoins and stone ridge coping; south elevation has similar 3-light window
and remains of memorial tablet to left, C19 restoration of 3-light Perpendicular
window to right and C18 memorial tablet with bolection-moulded architrave, scallop-
shell frieze and cornice. Off-centre gabled porch has pointed arched door with
moulded and hollow-chamfered surround and hood mould, late C19 doors. 2-bay
chancel has south west stair turret with gabletted top, weathered buttresses and
diagonal buttresses, two 2-light south windows with reticulated tracery and
stopped hood moulds, similar larger 3-light east window, trefoil in gable and
small pinnacles to sides-of verges. 2-bay vestry has two 2-light east windows
with trefoil heads and hood mould, similar 2-light window to north and west,
segmental-headed west door. Interior: tower has C19 ceiling with moulded ribs,
narrow door with chamfered depressed 4-centred arch to tower, tall pointed arch to
nave with onebroad wave-mould and 2 inner narrow mouldings. Nave has 5-bay wagon
roof, moulded principals rising from head corbels with large gold-painted bosses
along moulded ridge purlin; north wall has remains of arched recess below window
to east, possibly former site of tomb, north west window has chamfered rere-arch,
north east and south west windows have moulded surrounds; inner segmental head to
south door, upper part filled with Perpendicular tracery and C19 doors, door has
outer surround of 2 narrow wave-moulds and hollow chamfer, 4-centred arch, stone
benches to sides of porch and C19 roof of common rafters and collars. Tall
pointed chancel arch with panelled soffit, chancel has ceiled 4-bay roof, moulded
ribs with bosses at intersections, brattished wall-plate; stone newel stair to
south west leading to gallery over screen, piscina in east wall, segmental-headed
arch with wave-mouldings to vestry; vestry has similar 3-bay ceiled roof.
Fittings: font in nave has circular bowl on circular stem, close early C16
tracery on the bowl and small naively-carved demi-figures, fined carved polygonal
wooden cover; screen across chancel arch, attributed to Pugin (probably the
younger) has 4-light divisions, flamboyant tracery, coving with ribs, angel-
figures against the main posts; pair of late C17/early C18 sanctuary chairs in
chancel with scrolled carving; C19 panelled wooden reredos; late C19 stone tablet
in vestry recording rectors. Monuments all re-set in vestry, marble tablet with
urn, to John Hellier, 1795; marble tablet with draped urn and pediment, to James
Hellier, 1776; C19 oval stone tablet with wreath, to Hellier family, date illegible;
marble tablet, to Henry Hellier, 1775; stone tablet with scrolled pediment, to
Thomas Beale, 1704; C19 brass plate recording members of Hellier family. Mid C19
east window has stained glass in memory of Hellier family. (Sources: Pevsner, N.:
Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol. 1958).

Listing NGR: ST5328360400

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.