Description: Royal Pump Room Museum
Date Listed: 18 July 1949
English Heritage Building ID: 329862
OS Grid Reference: SE2981455374
OS Grid Coordinates: 429814, 455374
Latitude/Longitude: 53.9936, -1.5467
5338 CROWN PLACE
(West side )
Royal Pump Room Museum
SM 2955 SE 12/29 18.7.49.
Circa 1842 by Isaac T Shutt on the site of sulphur springs described by Edmund
Deane in 1626. The Old sulphur Well is incorporated in the basement of the present
building; the previous domed cover of 1807-8. of the well was removed to the Tewit
Well (qv). Rear addition (The Annexe) added circa 1913 by Leonard Clark. The
building became a museum in 1953, Irregular octagonal plan with 4 projecting
side bays with Corinthian pilasters on quoins carrying entablature and blocking
course. Octagonal ogee dome with copper tiles replacing the original leaded
roof and central lantern. Grit stone ashlar with pediments to projections which
have sash windows with panelled surrounds, pediment, channelled aprons and glazing
bars. Recessed faces have inscribed panel l'ABX CEIEB.RIB FONTIBUS) over a
doorway with segmental pediment on console brackets; 1½ glazed door with margin
lights. Annexe with pilasters carrying entablature; large windows; roof with
copper fishtail dormer. In basement C18 stone well-head of Old Sulphur Well
in situ, with original marble basin, arched openings and tented cover. Ground
floor interior of 1842. Pump Room with Corinthian pilasters carrying entablature.
Some original thermal fittings and counters preserved. Betty Lupton 'Queen of
the Wells' worked here as a well-woman in the earlier C19.
The Crown Hotel forms a group with Nos 1 to 3 (consec) and the Royal Pump Room Museum.
Listing NGR: SE2981455374
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.