Description: Tewit Well
Date Listed: 18 July 1949
English Heritage Building ID: 329968
OS Grid Reference: SE3061854467
OS Grid Coordinates: 430618, 454467
Latitude/Longitude: 53.9854, -1.5346
TEWIT WELL ROAD
5338 Tewit Well
SE 3054 27/35 18.7.49.
The Tewit Well was the earliest of the Harrogate chalybeate springs: discovered by Mr William
Slingsby in 1571, it was described by Edmund Deane in "Spadacrene Anglica" in 1626.
The original well-cover was replaced by the present pavilion (circa 1807-8)
which was transferred from the site of the Old Sulphur Well in circa
1842 when the Royal Pump Room was erected. Circular pavilion with modern fibreglass
dome resting on a stone colonnade. Tuscan Order of 12 columns, the bases of
6 columns stand on the plinth, the other 6 are shortened to rest on a pedestal.
The former wall infill with doors and windows of circa 1842 has recently been
removed. A modern concrete cover seals the top of the old well.
Listing NGR: SE3061854468
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.