British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Mary, Stanton Drew

Description: Church of St Mary

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 21 September 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 33002

OS Grid Reference: ST5978163128
OS Grid Coordinates: 359781, 163128
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3658, -2.5791

Location: Sandy Lane, Stanton Drew, Bath and North East Somerset BS39 4EN

Locality: Stanton Drew
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Country: England
Postcode: BS39 4EN

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

There is also a scheduled monument, Large Irregular Stone Circle at Stanton Drew South East of Church Farm, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.

Listing Text


3/105 Church of St. Mary
G.V. II*

Parish church. Possibly C13 origin, C15, nave rebuilt 1848, chancel rainwater
head dated 1880, much remodelled 1889 and 1897, particularly interior. Limestone
and sandstone rubble, tower in coursed rubble with limestone ashlar parapet,
limestone dressings, slate roofs with raised coped verges, some double Roman
tiles. Nave, north tower, north porch, north east chapel, wide south aisle and
south chapel, chancel. Decorated style north doorway, Perpendicular style,
mostly of Cl9. Nave has 3-light Clg west window with hood mould and relieving
arch, west gable end of south aisle has similar 4-light window of different C19
date, plinth, cill string course, kneelers and cross finials to gables, weathered
angle buttresses; north side of nave has 2 late C18 stone monuments with carved
Ionic pilasters and pediments, C19 gargoyle on eaves cornice and stack, small C20
flat-roofed addition. 3-stage tower has random sandstone rubble at first stage,
coursed above, angle buttresses rising to first stage, diagonal buttresses above
rising to pinnacles; south west stair turret with lancets, mask corbels and stone
pyramidal roof, stones inset at top with bead mouldings, probably C19 rebuilding;
2nd stage north has cusped lancet and clock, string course above, 3rd stage has
2-light bell-openings with louvres and sandstone relieving arches, moulded string
with gargoyles, embattled parapet with image niche to east. 2-storey gabled
porch has pointed arched door with convex and concave mouldings, small paired
lancets above with cusped heads and hood mould, small diagonal buttresses. North
chapel in C15 Perpendicular style, same stonework as base of tower, has 3-light
C19 east window and lancet above, similar north window, plinth, weathered angle
buttresses, cornice with 2 gargoyles to north, shallow pitch to east gable end,
embattled parapet with north east pinnacle. 4-bay south aisle has three 3-light
C19 windows and one 2-light, weathered buttresses, plinth and eaves cornice with
gargoyles. One-bay south chapel has 3-light south window of C19 with 4-centred
arched head, 3-light east window with pointed arch and hood mould, cross finial.
Chancel has east window of 4 lancets, 2 central lancets taller, hood mould, round-
headed north priest's door with convex moulding, formerly north window, relieving
arch remaining. Interior: nave has 11-bay C19 roof of principal rafters, arched-
brace and collar, wall plate; tall pointed arch to tower with 2 broad concave
mouldings to jambs and 2 convex mouldings to arch, C19 screen doors with C20 upper
glazing, tall pointed arch to north chapel with similar narrower mouldings to
jambs, 2 narrower stepped convex mouldings to arch; north rood stair has glazed
lower opening, upper door with hollow-chamfered surround and 4-centred arch, stone
newel stair in wall; 4-bay south arcade has piers with plinth, 2 concave
mouldings each side, pointed arches with 2 convex mouldings; wide pointed arch to
chancel with similar mouldings. Tower has Perpendicular image niche to south,
4-centred arched west door to tower (blocked), tall pointed arch to chapel with
similar mouldings to nave arch, C20 glazed screen. Porch has ceiled roof (as
tower) stone benches, surround to door with thin mouldings, ogee gable with
pinnacles left and right, tower wall cut back to accommodate doorway, heavy
moulded string to each side, C19 doors. North chapel formerly had wider east
window, moulded head remaining above C19 surround. South aisle has similar C19
11-bay roof, pointed arch to south chapel as in south arcade; south chapel has
C19 common rafter roof with collars and braces, stone shelf on south wall, similar
pointed arch to chancel; chancel has similar 4-bay Cl9 roof. Fittings: font in
nave has circular bowl on circular base with 4 attached demi-shafts; late C19
stone pulpit in south aisle; Royal Arms in tower, erected by church wardens
Thomas Wight Preston and John Fear, 1818; hatchment recording gifts to parish in
tower; C18 hatchment with pediment recording Mrs. Lyde's gifts, 1772; board
recording grant from Incorporated Society for Church Building, 1848. In nave,
stone monument with carved Ionic pilasters and broken pediment, to Elizabeth
Adams, 1768; marble tablet with draped urn, to John Kernan, 1804, by Foster of
Bristol; marble tablet, name illegible, 1778; marble tablet with draped urn, to
Alexander Adams 1811, by Lancaster of Bristol. 4 fine monuments in north chapel:
marble monument with pilasters on gadrooned plinth, segmental pediment and
antlered deer crest, to Annamaria Lyde, 1729/30, by Michael Sidnell; similar
stone monument on brackets with cherubs and broken segmental pediment, to
Cornelius Lyde, 1717, by Sidnell; similar marble monument, to James Lyde, 1731,
by Sidnell; marble monument with pediment and fluted finial, to Michael Foster,
1763. South aisle has marble tablet, to James Williams, 1795, by Tyley of
Bristol; marble tablet to Joseph Bush, 1824, by H. Wood of Bristol; marble
sarcophagus tablet, to Elizabeth Visme, 1828; stone and marble monument with
cherub, upper part missing, to James Hopkins, 1730. South chapel has stone
monument with carved Ionic pilasters, cherubs, flowers and broken pediment, to
Samuel Prigg, vicar, died 1739/40, erected by his grandson 1777. Chancel has
slate and marble monument to Peter Coates, 1791, by Jones and Co., Bristol;
2 marble tablets by Hird of Bristol, to Peter Coates, 1831 and Rebecca Coates,
1817. (Sources: Pevsner, N. : Buildings of England : North Somerset and
Bristol. 1958).

Listing NGR: ST5978163128

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.