Norton Conyers House, Norton Conyers
Description: Norton Conyers House
Date Listed: 22 July 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 330422
OS Grid Reference: SE3198976245
OS Grid Coordinates: 431989, 476245
Latitude/Longitude: 54.1810, -1.5114
Location: Norton Conyers, North Yorkshire HG4 5EQ
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
SE 37 NW NORTON CONYERS NORTON CONYERS
2/46 Norton Conyers House
- II *
House. Probably medieval, with C16 extension and early C17 and C18
alterations. Brick, roughcast, Westmorland slate roof. 2 ranges
forming square-plan house. 2 storeys, 4 bays. Central, double doors
with pulvinated bands and decorative panels. Surround has pulvinated
rusticated piers to either side, each fronted by a pair of raised
Corinthian columns. The pedimented entablature above has swags to
frieze, dentilled cornice and broken triangular pediment above a
heraldic shield. Irregular fenestration, with 3-light, 3-tiered mullion
and transom hall window to bay 2; large canted-bay windows with 32-pane
sashes to bays 1 and 4. 24-pane sashes in flush wood architraves to
both floors of bay 4; a 16-pane sash in recessed frame to bay 3, first
floor, and a 12-pane sash in recessed frame to bay 1, first floor.
Moulded eaves cornice. 4 ogee-curved gables, each with small bulls-eye
window, 3 false. Ball finials to kneelers. Cluster of chimneys to
right, external stack to left. Further chimneys on rear range.
Interior: hall has high coved ceiling with acorn dentilled cornice. Cl7
fireplace with carved overmantle. Parlour left of hall: C18 fireplace,
plasterwork, shutters, panelling. Library behind parlour: mid C18
corner fireplace and overmantle and pulvinated, reeded door-frames with
rosettes. Dining room to right of hall: doors with moulded architraves
and consoles carrying moulded cornice. C18 plasterwork and window
shutters. Wide staircase behind hall of 3 straight flights with double
balusters of C16 character, many restored or replaced, and ball finials
on newel posts. Much of the C17 work on the house coincides with its
acquisition by Sir Richard Graham, made Baronet in 1630. The
plasterwork in parlour and dining room is by William Belwood, 1781-83,
who also worked at Harewood House and Newby Hall.
Listing NGR: SE3198976245
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.