Description: Church of St Cuthbert and St Oswald
Date Listed: 11 June 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 331127
OS Grid Reference: SE2523971254
OS Grid Coordinates: 425239, 471254
Latitude/Longitude: 54.1365, -1.6152
SE 27 SE WINKSLEY WINKSLEY BANKS ROAD
Church of St Cuthbert and
Church of St Cuthbert and St Oswald. 1917 by Connon and Chorley for Jane,
Baroness Furness, in memory of her husband Christopher, the first Baron
Furness who died at Grantley Hall in 1912. Gritstone, stone slate roof.
3-bay nave with narrow north and south aisles incorporated into it. Large
west tower of 3 stages with porch and stair turret against the south side,
and another porch against the north side. 2-bay chancel with vestry to south
and organ bay to north. Perpendicular style. Double board south door with
wide strap hinges under deeply-chamfered arch; curvilinear tracery to belfry
windows; elaborate Perpendicular tracery to 3-light nave windows with shallow
arches; 5-light east window. Wide buttresses, irregular indented parapets to
tower, nave and chancel, projecting bands at floor levels and over belfry
windows to tower. Interior: the aisles form low tunnels beneath buttress
walls linking the piers with the outer walls. Marble corner columns support
wooden vaulted ceiling at west end, beneath tower. Nave and chancel roofs of
large timbers. Wide double-chamfered chancel arch. Font, pulpit and low
screen white veined marble. Finely carved pew-ends with varied traceried
panels. The walls of the west end carry memorials to the Furness family of
Grantley Hall. The earlier church stood on the north west, in the graveyard.
It had been built or restored c1500 by Marmaduke Huby, Abbot of Fountains
Abbey and again in the C18. Stone front the c1500 church is incorporated
into the west wall of the present tower, including 2 inscriptions in Latin,
the 3-light west window and a niche with crocketed canopy. The system of
roofing the aisles was probably copied from Fountains Abbey church.
W J St John Hope, Fountain Abbey, Yorkshire, 1900, p21. The architects
Connon and Chorley also built St Aidan's Church, Hellifield, North Riding.
N Pevsner, Yorkshire, West Riding 1967, p 554.
Listing NGR: SE2523971254
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.