Description: Marigold Hall
Date Listed: 31 March 1970
English Heritage Building ID: 332448
OS Grid Reference: SE4299593117
OS Grid Coordinates: 442995, 493117
Latitude/Longitude: 54.3318, -1.3403
LANDMOTH CUM CATTO A 19
SE 49 SW
(west side, off)
4/16 Marigold Hall
House. Dated 1679 for William Morwood, and early C19. Ashlar, coursed
squared stone, pantile roof. 5 bays, 2 storeys. 3 left-hand bays of 1679,
those to right C19. Plinth. 3 left-hand bays break forward. To right
bay of 1679 house is a half-glazed door set in pedimented surround with
rusticated pilasters, in frieze are the letters " M " flanked by circles
bearing date. Above this in moulded oval is a marigold flower.
Superimposed on rusticated pilasters are taller Roman Doric pilasters on
plinths which rise above frieze to a thinner moulded frieze; above, a broken
and open segmental pediment. To far left is the right half of a similar doorcase.
Between them are 2 tall 2-light chamfered mullion-and-transom windows with
moulded architraves, pulvinated friezes and cornices. Above the right-hand
one is a 2-light chamfered mullioned window. All these windows have single-
pane fixed glazing. 2 right-hand bays have C20 casements with stone sills
below flat stone arches. To right is a stone C20 porch. 1679 section has a
moulded stone cornice, to right-hand corner is a square sundial with moulded
cornice. Stone copings. End stack with moulded cornice to left. Ridge
stack to right.
Listing NGR: SE4299593117
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.