British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of All Saints, Northallerton

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: I
Date Listed: 23 April 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 332798

OS Grid Reference: SE3672594200
OS Grid Coordinates: 436725, 494200
Latitude/Longitude: 54.3420, -1.4366

Location: High Street, Northallerton, North Yorkshire DL7 8PQ

Locality: Northallerton
Local Authority: Hambleton District Council
County: North Yorkshire
Country: England
Postcode: DL7 8PQ

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Northallerton, North Yorkshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SE 3694-3794
6/4 Church of All Saints
Parish church. C12, early C13, C14, C15; C19 restoration and new chancel by Charles
Hodgson Fowler of Durham c1885. Ashlar sandstone, Westmorland slate and lead roofs.
Cruciform plan; nave with north and south aisles and south porch; transepts with.
tower over crossing; chancel with vestry extension to north of 1977 and not of
special interest. Porch: C15; stepped diagonal buttresses; archway of 2 hollow-
chamfered orders; undercut string; trefoiled niche in low gable; stoup to right;
pinnacles to parapet; water spouts in side returns; crude benches inside. South
aisle: C14, with C15 windows, and reset C13 south doorway with early English.
pointed arch on renewed shafts; plinth; stepped diagonal buttress to left; windows,
one to left and two to right of porch, have 4-centred arches with hoodmoulds and
Perpendicular tracery; plain parapet; medieval coffin outside first bay; 2-light
west window has Y-tracery and double-chamfered surround. South transept: C13,
with C15 5-light Perpendicular window, flanked by buttresses, with sundial on that
to left, and angel and shield with arms of Bishop Neville of Durham, c1450, above
in rebuilt gable; to east, stepped buttresses, sill band and 3 lancet windows.
Tower: c1420; clasping buttresses; ringing chamber has two ogee-headed single
lights with hoodmoulds and C18 clock with hoodmould; belfry openings paired, each
light with mullion and transom, cinque-cusped head, Perpendicular tracery, hood-
moulds; parapet with pinnacles; other sides matching, except clock only on north
side. Chancel: 1895, 3 bays; in better quality ashlar, with plinth, sill band,
stepped buttresses, crenellated parapets, and Perpendicular-style windows of 3
lights to south, 5 lights to east. North transept: C13; 2 lancets visible to east,
the 3rd hidden by vestry addition, a large diagonal buttress to north east, and
heating chamber entrance below; 3-light Perpendicular north window flanked by
pilaster buttresses, C19 gable with vesica window. North aisle: C15; blocked north
doorway with straight-sided arched head with hoodmould; three 3-light cusped windows;
plain parapet; matching west window. Nave, west end: C12; round-arched doorway
of 3 chamfered orders, 1 order shafted, with hoodmould; strings; 4-light Perpendicular
window above; all flanked by pilaster buttresses. Interior: early C12 north
arcade of 4 round arches of 2 orders, the inner order of the easternmost arch
chamfered, and a 5th arch running into the north-west crossing pier, circular piers
with cushion capitals, the 3rd pier from the west a larger size. Nave south
arcade: late C12; 4 arches, a 5th running into south-west crossing pier, double-
chamfered pointed arches with hoodmoulds, circular piers, early English capitals.
Crossing arches: Perpendicular bases; arches with moulding running out into piers,
pointed arches of 3 chamfered orders with labels; above, keeled shafts run up into
tower from head corbels; north-east pier contains stair turret and C13 masonry.
C15 arch from north aisle to transept is wide and has 2 chamfered orders dying into
responds. Similar arch from south aisle to transept, but orders hollow chamfered;
the lancets in the east wall of the south transept are interrupted by a later recess
with leaf capital, in the walls nearby a simple piscina and a corbel with the head
of a king. Chancel: north windows have blind lower traceried panels; vestry door-
way is moulded and pointed with hoodmould on head stops; flanking the east window
are canopied niches with saints; stepped 3-seat sedilia; Perpendicular-style choir
stalls and reading desks. Roofs: nave has early-mid C19 pointed-arched roof
trusses, every second one on wall posts on corbels; Gothic cross-bracing between
trusses; flat aisle roofs have ties on curved braces; transepts have gambrel roofs;
chancel has wooden pointed arched waggon roof. Font: octagonal shaft, fluted with
'linenfold' motif; octagonal basin with date 1662 on one side, initials and
decorative motifs on other sides; tall C18 canopy. Nearby, C20 money box set on
2 medieval grave covers. Monuments: on south aisle wall, undated, probably C16,
inscription tablet surrounded by strapwork, all in frame with Corinthian columns
on head corbels, cornice with putto; white marble tablet on oval block to Samuel
Peat Esq, d 1802; west of porch, monument to Susannah Rigge, d 1828 signed Webster's,
Kendal; at west end, white marble urn and scroll on black marble mount to James
Weston Diemer Esq, d 1815 signed Taylor (or York) Sculpt; in floor of nave aisle,
black marble floor slabs to Mary, wife of John Rudd Esq, d 1705 and Mary, second
wife of Daniel Lascelles Esq, d 1734; at west end of north aisle, wall tablet to
Daniel Mitford (of No 84 High Street, qv) d 1764 and his wife Elizabeth d 1756;
monument erected by Elizabeth, wife of Rev William Cust, Rectory of Danby Wiste,
d 1819, with a Greek sarcophagus and an urn in white marble on a black obelisk;
monument by William Tyler to Thomas Crosfield, d 1761 with a white marble cameo
on a yellow marble tablet with his coat of arms on the cornice, and with an urn
on the obelisk above in black marble; in the floor of the crossing, black marble
slabs including that to Robert Raikes (of Vine House, qv) d 1709 with his coat of
arms, and to Maria, widow of Thomas Crosfield, d 1733; in north transepts, black
marble floor slabs to Mary, wife of Henry Lascelles, d 1721; and to Daniel
Lascelles Esq of Stank Hall (Leeds), d 1734 with his coat of arms. Propped up
against north wall, Baroque grave cover of Marcus Metcalfe, vicar of the church,
d 1593, with a raised coat of arms. Leaning against the west wall of the north
transept, part of a carved wooden Perpendicular screen. On the sill of the north
transept window, ancient carved stones including a Saxon cross head; other fragments
on window sills of north aisle.
VCH i, pp 426-431.

Listing NGR: SE3673894206

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.