Description: Administration Building at Monk Bretton Priory
Date Listed: 6 February 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 333687
OS Grid Reference: SE3730106592
OS Grid Coordinates: 437301, 406592
Latitude/Longitude: 53.5546, -1.4384
SE30NE BARNSLEY ABBEY LANE
6.2.52 Monk Bretton
listed under Remains
of Monk Bretton Priory)
Administration building, part of Monk Bretton Priory Remains (q.v.). Late
C13 or early C14, re-roofed in 1931. Squared, coursed rubble, Welsh slate
roofs. Rectangular plan. Two storeys. West side: quoins. Entrance to
left with chamfered quoined surround and later cambered head. Two narrow
chamfered lights to right. Continuous dripmould over ground floor.
1st floor: 3-light double-chamfered windows to left and right of a central
doorway with chamfered quoined surround, all C17. 2-span roof. Rear: similar
to front, with entrance to right and three 3-light double-chamfered windows
to 1st floor. The left and right returns have 4 narrow ground-floor lights
and 2 gables.
Interior: 4 bays, divided by 3 octagonal monolithic stone piers with good
moulded bases and capitals. These support a single longitudinal beam which
is braced to the gable ends. A second tier of wooden piers support the valley
of the roofs. Cross-beams braced to the front and back walls formerly supported
the 1st floor. The ground-floor wall is considerably thicker that that of the
1st floor. Fireplace in front wall, ground floor, but no chimney.
This building is traditionally known as the guest house but,because of the lack
of fireplaces and garderobes, this is thought unlikely and that it was used for
the administration of the priory's estates, the upper floor perhaps being used
as a manorial courtroom.
The monastery of St. Mary Magdalen was founded c1154 for the Monks of the Order
of Cluny and colonised from La Charité-sur-Loire. It became Benedictine in
1281. After the Dissolution in 1538 the priory passed through various hands
until acquired by Barnsley Borough who, in 1932, placed the ruins in the care
of the state.
Scheduled Ancient Monument.
Dr. J. W. Walker, The Priory of St. Mary Magdalen,
Yorkshire Archaeological Society, 1926.
Rose Graham and R. Gilyard-Beer, Monk Bretton Priory, Yorkshire.
D. of E. Official Handbook, 1966.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1967.
Listing NGR: SE3730206590
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.