Description: The Gateway and West Gateway, Central Archway, Flanking Walls and Piers
Date Listed: 16 March 1984
English Heritage Building ID: 33397
OS Grid Reference: ST5500473288
OS Grid Coordinates: 355004, 173288
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4568, -2.6490
ST 57 SE and ABBOTS LEIGH ABBOTS LEIGH ROAD (north-east
ST 57 SW side)
4/1 and 5/1 The Gateway and West Gateway,
Central Archway, Flanking Walls
- and Piers
Central archway, flanking lodges, walls and piers. 1814 by Thomas Hopper.
Ashlar; concealed roofs. In a severe Greek Revival style. Tall, semi-
circular headed central arch with moulded surround and imposts; four detached,
unfluted Ionic columns on plinths, supporting plain, straight entablature,
cornice and blocking course, plain pilasters to wall; coffered soffit to arch.
Flanking single storey lodges (The Gateway and West Gateway): 3 bays, the outer
2 being slightly set back; plain angle pilasters and pilaster strips and plain
cornice; ashlar stacks with moulded caps; glazing bar sash windows and
panelled doors in semi-circular headed openings in the jambs of the arch. From
each lodge low, quadrant walls of ashlar extend for approximately 8 yards and
terminate in square ashlar piers with moulded caps. Formerly the archway and
lodges to Leigh Court, now Leigh Court Hospital (q.v.).
Listing NGR: ST5500473288
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.