Description: Church of Our Lady and St James
Date Listed: 4 December 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 333984
OS Grid Reference: SE3541003558
OS Grid Coordinates: 435410, 403558
Latitude/Longitude: 53.5275, -1.4673
WORSBROUGH WEST STREET
SE30SE (north side)
2/108 Church of Our Lady
and St. James
Church. 1902 by T. H. and F. Healey of Bradford, patron S. J. Cooper
(Plan register, 1901; Kelly's Directory, 1912). Thinly-coursed sandstone,
graduated Westmorland slate roof. 3-bay nave with south porch, narrower chancel
with south tower in angle with nave, adjoining vestry on east. Nave: porch to
bay 1 has double-chamfered arch with floral-stopped hoodmould, gable copings with
cross. String course on right beneath windows of 3 : 2 and 1 lights, buttress
between the first two. West window has buttress between 2 sets of 3 lancets with
hoodmoulds; vesica. Tower: south priest's door with string course rising as
hoodmould. Quoined slit windows beneath offset ashlar belfry stage having
semi-octagonal corner piers and flanking 2-light trefoiled openings; continuous
hoodmould. Short lead-covered spire with corner spirelets and turret at north-east
corner. Gabled south vestry has ashlar panel with 3-light mullioned window;
central light taller, transomed and cusped. Chancel windows of 2 and 1 lights,
corbel table to ashlar-coped parapet. East window of 3 cusped lights divided by
shafts, outer lights blind. East and west gable copings with crosses.
Interior: simple Gothic-Revival styled interior with marble font and wall paintings
above chancel arch. Originally dedicated to St. James, now in Roman Catholic use,
the Anglican congregation being accommodated at the Church of St. Thomas and
St. James (q.v.). Adjoining buildings at east end not of special interest.
Worsbrough U.D.C. Plan Register 1901 plan 22 (held in Barnsley Local Studies Library).
Kelly's Directory, West Riding, 1912, vol 1, p996.
Listing NGR: SE3541003558
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.