Description: Holy Trinity Church
Date Listed: 11 October 1961
English Heritage Building ID: 33399
OS Grid Reference: ST5444274018
OS Grid Coordinates: 354442, 174018
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4633, -2.6572
ST 57 SW ABBOTS LEIGH CHURCH ROAD (north-west side)
4/3 Holy Trinity Church
Parish Church (Anglican). C15; restored and partially rebuilt after a fire in
1847-48. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, chancel and
vestry. Coursed rubble with freestone dressings; slate roof to nave, double
Roman tiles to chancel. All in a Perpendicular style. West tower: 3 stages
with diagonal buttresses; embattled parapet with plain pinnacles; polygonal
stair tower with spirelet projects at north-east corner; 2-light bell chamber
opening, 4-light west window; west door under hood mould with carved head stops.
North and south aisles: embattled parapets; 2-light windows with cusped heads to
tracery. Gabled projecting south porch. Chancel: 3-light east window as
south window. Interior. South doorway has moulded surround with fleurons.
3 bay north and south arcades: the south one has piers of engaged shafts
alternating with four hollows, 4-centred arches; the north one is C19. Plain
chancel arch. The tower arch has a chamfered outer order and a wave moulded
inner order. Mid C19 nave roof of arch-braced collar beam trusses and 3 tiers
of cusped windbraces; 6-light dormer windows. Early C19 ribbed roof to chancel.
Pulpit, C19 in a Perpendicular style. Font: C19, in a perpendicular style;
ashlar, octagonal. Monuments. Tower: Miles funeral hatchment; P.J. Miles,
died 1845, by E.H. Bailey, marble neo-classical monument with an inscribed plinth
on brackets, and 2 female mourners (one seated) which flank a draped vase on a
pedestal bearing the Miles arms. Nave: Francis Short, died 1853 by Tyley of
Bristol, urn on a pedestal and a female mourning figure. South aisle: Mark
Davis, died 1783, marble plaque with bowed ends and swan neck pediment; six-
poster late C16 ashlar tomb, thought-to be Lady Jane Norton (no figure) fluted
Ionic columns, fluted frieze with segmental pediment and arms. Chancel: Sir
George Norton, died 1715, marble baroque inscribed plaque flanked by Corinthian
columns which support a plain entablature, surmounted by concave sided pediment,
side volutes rest on a plinth which has portrait medallions. (N. Pevsner, The
Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST5444274018
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.