Description: Wortley Hall with Attached South-Front Terrace and Steps Including Attached Retaining Wall and Steps
Date Listed: 25 April 1969
English Heritage Building ID: 334007
OS Grid Reference: SK3124199495
OS Grid Coordinates: 431241, 399495
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4912, -1.5306
WORTLEY WORTLEY PARK
4/131 Wortley Hall
25.4.69 south-front terrace
and steps including
wall and steps to wing
set back on left
Country house now rest home. South front 1742-46 by Giacomo Leoni for Edward
Wortley-Montagu (d1761); east wing 1757-61 by Matthew Brettingham, mason/
executive architects were George Platt (d1743) and son John. Additions by
John Platt for Lady Bute (d1784) during 1784-88, completed for James Archibald
Stuart Wortley under guidance of John Carr of York. Probably remodelled and
lantern added by William Burn c1867-73 (Hewlings, pp397-400). Ashlar sandstone,
graduated slate roofs. Irregular plan, mostly 2 storeys. 7-bay south front
with 5-bay wing set back by 5 bays on left and with single linking bay; east
front of 1 : 1 : 3 : 3 bays with wing on right forming part of extensive service
ranges enclosing courtyard. Front terrace with retaining wall and central steps
flanked by urns; additional steps and balustraded retaining wall to front-left
corner of wing set back on left. South front: 1 : 1 : 3 : 1 : 1 bays, outer bays
flanked by twin Ionic pilasters, central 3-bay pediment breaks forward. Moulded
plinth. Central French window in architrave beneath consoled cornice. Moulded
sill band links 2-pane sashes; bays 1, 3, 5 and 7 have balustraded aprons,
shouldered architraves, pulvinated friezes and dentilled pediments, bay 2 and 6
have cornices. 1st floor: central 8-pane window, other bays with 6-pane windows,
all in architraves. Full entablature surmounted by balustrade, central pediment
with arms of James Archibald Stuart Wortley (added on his elevation to the peerage
in 1826). Hipped roof with ashlar stacks set to rear. Octagonal lantern over
entrance on right return has archivolted openings beneath lead-covered dome with
finial. Wing set back on left: wider bay 5 projects and has tripartite windows
to each floor, that to ground floor with cornice and pedimented central light.
4-pane sashes to each floor on left, balustrade to hipped roof with corniced ridge
stack and end stack on left. Linking bay with pedimented doorway beneath blind
architrave; balustraded parapet. Attached retaining wall on left has balustrade
and 2 flights of steps. Right return: bay 1 flanked by twin pilasters as front.
Quoined projection on right with window having bracketed sill, architrave with
segmental pediment, 6-pane sash in architrave above. Set back on right main
entrance has Ionic-columned doorcase with archivolt within open pediment. 3 bays
on right have sashes with glazing bars in corniced architraves, deep floor band
beneath 4 sashes, entablature and balustrade as front. 3 bays further right set
back: sashes with glazing bars to each floor, modillioned cornice, blind balustrade.
Service wing attached on right.
Interior: dining room (ground-floor bay 7 of south front) has marble Ionic-columned
screen and oak panelling with decorative doorcases having oak-leaf friezes,
archivolt to servery; elegant ceiling with relief plasterwork and armorial panel
(heavily repainted). Sitting room (at centre of south front): fluted-columned
screen, plaster wall panels, ceiling in Rococo style. Room to rear left (of south
front) with end-wall fireplaces and panelling with well-carved drops depicting
musical instruments; fine panelled door with carving. Salon (now called Foundry
Hall) elaborately decorated c1860 with Japanese and exotic motifs, by Geoffrey
Sykes of Sheffield, completed by Sir John Poynter,central lantern with stained-glass
side lights. Central hall with C19 imperial staircase having brass balusters
to wooden handrail. Landing with marbled Ionic columns flanking recesses, frieze
with bucrania, oval lantern. C19 armorial glass panels against north window of
landing. Former home of the Wortley Montagu and Stuart Wortley families.
Used by army during 1939-45 after which the hall fell into disrepair. Purchased
by trade union and Labour movement in 1950 to become educational holiday centre.
R. Hewlings, 'Wortley Hall', Archaeological Journal, vol 137, 1980, pp397-400.
Wortley Hall Labour's Home - 25 Years Souvenir, booklet.
Listing NGR: SK3124199495
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.