Description: Stable Block to Wortley Hall
Date Listed: 4 December 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 334013
OS Grid Reference: SK3112499501
OS Grid Coordinates: 431124, 399501
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4913, -1.5324
WORTlEY WORTLEY PARK
4/137 Stable-block to
Stable-block. Early Cl9. For the Wortley Hall estate. Coursed, dressed
sandstone, graduated slate roof. Partly 2 storeys, 5 : 3 : 5 bays, symmetrical
elevations with central 3-bay pediments breaking forward. Ashlar plinth.
Central carriage entrance has impost band to rusticated round arch, flanking
bays all have a blind round-arched recess with projecting sill and rusticated
voussoirs, linking impost band; recesses to bays 2, 4, 10, 12 set back within
larger round-arched panels. Cornice and blocking course, central pediment with
glass-faced clock. Hipped roof with corniced stacks near each end, louvred
ridge ventilators. Octagonal central cupola with archivolted opening in each
face, cornice and ball-finialled balustrade, lead dome with apex finial.
Rear: in same style, end bays and 4th from ends have 9-panel doors; unequally-hung
25-pane sashes to other round-arched openings. Roof dormers. Each return has a
blind, Venetian window.
Interior: some original horse-standing fixtures in left part, tiled back walls.
In 1797 John Carr and assistant Peter Atkinson were engaged by James Archibald
Stuart-Wortley and submitted schemes including that for the stable. This had
not been built by 1800 but it is probable that the present design draws from their
work. The cupola matches that on Wortley Hall (q.v.) added later in the century
probably by William Burn (Hewlings).
R. Hewlings, 'Wortley Hall', Archaeological Journal, vol 137, 1980, pp397-400.
Listing NGR: SK3112499501
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.