Description: Church of St George
Date Listed: 11 October 1961
English Heritage Building ID: 33455
OS Grid Reference: ST5142575746
OS Grid Coordinates: 351425, 175746
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4786, -2.7008
ST 57 NW EASTON-IN-GORDANO CHURCH ROAD (south-east side)
2/59 CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
Parish Church (Anglican). C14 and C15, mostly rebuilt and restored in 1871-72
by Ewan Christian (replacing a church of 1827 by Edward Bridges). West tower,
nave with clerestorey, north and south aisle, south porch, chancel and vestry.
Coursed rubble with freestone dressings; slate roofs behind embattled parapets.
An unusual west tower of 3 stages with set-back buttresses; embattled parapet
with blank arcading and an image niche in the centre of each side, pinnacles;
2-light bell chamber openings with ogee heads to the tracery; 2-light windows on
second stage have transoms and ogee heads to the lights, tracery of small
quatrefoiled circles in spandrels to lower lights and louvres to upper lights;
projecting polygonal stair turret at north-east, blank arcading, embattled parapet
and spire. Nave: three 2-light windows with cusped heads to the lights.
North and south aisles: 2- and 3-light windows with thin tracery; rainwater
heads dated 1871; lean to roofs. Projecting gabled south porch with diagonal
buttresses. Interior. 3 bay arcade with hollow chamfered arches and octagonal
shafts. C14 tower arch of 4 chamfered orders on a semi-octagonal responds;
ogee headed doorway to stair turret on north pier. All fittings are 1871-72.
Font, pulpit and reredos are of elaborately detailed marble with figure scenes on
the pulpit and reredos. Monuments. Chancel: Roger Soudon, died 1703, ashlar,
Corinthian columns on gadrooned bases, half-relief of Soudon in clerical dress,
cherubs and skull below; Thomas Morgan, died 1723, marble and ashlar, fluted
columns and heraldry. Tower: Mary Morgan, died 1710, baroque, ashlar, 2
Corinthian columns on grotesque corbels, segmental pediment and heraldry; Mary
Morgan, died 1701). North aisle: Cordelia Wilkins, died 1774, by Allen of
Bristol, marble inscribed tablet, urn and heraldry. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings
of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST5142575746
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.