British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Hatfield Manor House, Hatfield

Description: Hatfield Manor House

Grade: I
Date Listed: 13 December 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 334624

OS Grid Reference: SE6631309331
OS Grid Coordinates: 466313, 409331
Latitude/Longitude: 53.5764, -1.0000

Location: 8 Manor Gardens, Hatfield, Doncaster DN7 6SA

Locality: Hatfield
County: Doncaster
Country: England
Postcode: DN7 6SA

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

SE 6609 (SE 60 NE) (east side)

16/49 Hatfield Manor House
13.12.51 (formerly listed as
The Manor House)


Manor house. C12 hall remodelled and extended C16 and C17, the whole
remodelled in the C18. Roughcast ashlar and brick, Welsh slate roof.
Now T-shaped with C12 hall projecting by 2 bays to west of later
north-south range, 2 and 3 storeys. South (entrance) front: 4-bay range to
right has plinth and French window to bay 2 beneath C20 pantiled porch; other
bays have sashes with glazing bars in ashlar surrounds with projecting sills.
Eaves cornice to hipped roof with lateral stack on left and large ridge stack
set back on right. C12 hall-block set back on left: exposed foundation with
well-preserved chamfered plinth. On lent a large 4-pane casement with leaded
lights in C18 flat-arched surround, similar surround to casement with glazing
bars on right; between the windows an intact, infilled, C12 window; jambs of
similar windows flank the right-hand casement. 1st floor: C12 floor band cut
back to wall; 2 large sashes with glazing bars as over porch. Cornice and
hipped roof as adjacent bays; ridge stack. Rear: C12 range on right has
broad projection (formerly a lateral stack) and 4 ground-floor windows with
ashlar surrounds. lst floor: to left of projection a large sash with glazing
bars to stair window flanked on its left by remains of a C17 window itself
cutting a C12 doorway; to right of projection a C16 lst-floor doorway (now
window) with chamfered surround and triangular-headed lintel. Rear of wing
on left has 2 doorways and horizontally-sliding sashes on 3 floors.
Right return: 4 bays on left generally as front, no windows to ground-floor
bays 1 and 2, blind surrounds over; blind rectangular window to 1st floor
centre has chamfered surround. 2 bays set back on right have mostly blind
surrounds, sash to ground-floor left. Left return: C12 hall-black has
chamfered plinth stepping down at quoined door position (now a 2-light
double-chamfered, mullioned window). Intact C12 window on right with
chamfered, quoined surround and cusped head. 1st floor: string course cut
back, C18 blind window on left.
Interior: stone-flagged entrance hall with round-arched arcade on Doric
columns and resited C16 fireplace with Tudor-arched lintel. Room to front
right with fine late C18 wooden fireplace with gryphons, bukrania and
anthemion motifs; contemporary iron firebasket with garlands; chamfered
ashlar doorway on left now a display cupboard. Dining room adjacent has
excellent late C17 panelling in 4 tiers with drops of carved fruit from an
egg-and-dart enriched cornice and carved frieze; corniced chimneypiece with
scrolls, carved rosettes, foliage and garlands of fruit. C12 range: corridor
to rear with substantial remains of doorway at west end (as seen on left
return). Adjacent room, formerly an Edwardian schoolroom, with fireplace,
cupboards and ceiling beams of the period; end wall has deep embrasure to the
C12 window (seen on left return). Adjacent room has exposed remains of
2 inner arches to the C12 windows seen from front. Wooden staircase in rear
angle of plan is of c1800 with turned and fluted balusters; plaster wall
panels and ceiling feature. 1st floor: corridor to rear of C12 block has
fine, in situ, C16 fireplace with Tudor-arched lintel and herringbone-brick
fireback. Room over entrance hall shows exposed quoins of a probably C13
tower that adjoined the C12 block, also part of a door head that linked the
two. Some early C19 fireplaces in other 1st-floor rooms. Roof space shows
part of a C16 cornice over the C12 range; C18 roof of hybrid construction.

History: traditionally regarded as on the site of King Edwin of Northumbria's
palace. Hatfield was granted to the Warenne family c1070 and the house must
have been built during their ownership prior to temporary seizure of the
Warenne estates by Thomas of Lancaster in 1317. In 1336 Edward III's son,
William of Hatfield was born here (he died in infancy and is buried in York
Minster). The house reverted to the Crown in 1347 and, as a hunting lodge,
its visitors included Edward Balliol (ex-King of Scotland); Elizabeth,
Countess of Ulster, probably in the company of John of Gaunt and Geoffrey
Chaucer (then a page). Thought to have seen visits by the Black prince in
1360 and Edmund Langley, Earl of Cambridge and Duke of York in 1381. Used by
the Duke of Narfoll: in 1536 during negotiations over the Rising of the North
and referred to by John Leland c1540 who noted that 'the log or manor place
is but meanly builded of tymbar'. In 1628 granted by the Crown to
Sir Cornelius Vermuyden, drainer of the lands around Hatfield; sold by him in
1630 to Sir Arthur Ingran in whose family it remained for several

Extensive survey notes in South Yorkshire County Ancient Monuments and Sites
Record, Sheffield, Primary Index No 443.

Listing NGR: SE6631309331

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.