Description: Church of St Nicholas
Date Listed: 5 June 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 334706
OS Grid Reference: SK6532592992
OS Grid Coordinates: 465325, 392992
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4297, -1.0183
SK69SE BAWTRY CHURCH STREET
10/8 Church of St. Nicholas
5th June 1968
Church. c1200, C14, C15, altered and tower rebuilt early C18. Ashlar
magnesian limestone, lead roofs. West tower, aisled 3-bay nave with 2-bay
chancel under same roof having south chapel, north organ chamber and vestry
in continuations of aisles. Tower: rebuilt 1712-13; Gothic Survival.
Chamfered plinth and moulded band; offset angle buttresses. West side:
segmentally-arched door beneath pointed 3-light window with mouchettes and
hoodmould; 2nd stage has blind-traceried square window; 3rd stage has clock
across a string course; pointed, 2-light belfry openings each with louvres,
cusping and quatrefoil beneath hoodmould. String course below embattled
parapet with corner waterspouts and 8 crocketed pinnacles. Nave: south aisle
has chamfered plinth, moulded band and offset buttresses between bays.
Moulded-arched doorway to bay 1; cusped Tudor-arched 3-light window to bay 2
and cusped square-headed 3-light window to bay 3. Moulded eaves cornice and
coped parapet to west. Clerestory has deeply-recessed 2-light mullioned
windows and chamfered eaves band. North aisle: rubble walled; buttress on
right of a blocked c1200 north door with shafted jambs, carved capitals and
roll-moulded arch with hoodmould; to left of door a square-headed 2-light
window with moulded surround and shouldered lights; buttress to left has a
similar blocked window now cut by a blocked, narrow 2-centred-arched doorway
with monarchs carved on hoodmould stops. Rebuilt clerestory with C20 2-light
mullioned windows. Chancel: south chapel detailed as rest of aisle; similar
clerestory but with broader windows, those to bays 2 and 3 with Y-tracery.
North aisle has round-arched vestry door with head-carved hoodmould stops on
left of a partly-blocked 2-light, square-headed window now with image niche;
to organ chamber on right is a buttress and a plain square-headed 4-light
window. Chancel has rendered east end with later plain mullions to a C13
pointed, 3-light window with hoodmould having carved-head stops and dog-tooth
ornament; south chapel window as rest; c1300 3-light window to north vestry
has intersecting tracery with head-carved hoodmould stops.
Interior: pointed, 3-order tower arch. North arcade, c1200: round piers with
octagonal capitals to unrestored double-chamfered arches with plain
hoodmoulds; square western respond has mask on corbel. Perpendicular south
arcade: octagonal piers with less massive octagonal capitals and arches.
Round-arched recess in position of north door. Nave roof: moulded, cambered
tie beams and moulded purlins, uncarved bosses. Chancel: north arcade has 2
double chamfered arches. South arcade has quatrefoil pier with fillets and
octagonal capital to 2 double-chamfered arches. East window has keeled
shafts in the jambs and nailhead ornament. Ogee-headed piscina. Roof: as
nave but with one carved boss. Fittings: Late C18 wrought-iron screen to
South chapel. Painted Coat of Arms beneath tower dated 1685; also 2 boards
with The 10 Commandments. Stained glass: east window by Kempe, c1902.
Monuments: numerous late C18-early C19 wall monuments above arcades. Of note
that to Robert Shaw (d.1770) has plaque with vase in broken pediment; also
that to Jonathan Acklon (d.1700) which has a winged cherub and roses at foot
of a marble cartouche with alms and helm; monument to the Cooke family to
north of chancel has cherub beneath cartouche.
Listing NGR: SK6532692989
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.