Description: Cantley Hall and Outbuildings
Date Listed: 5 June 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 334756
OS Grid Reference: SE6249102139
OS Grid Coordinates: 462491, 402139
Latitude/Longitude: 53.5122, -1.0591
SE60SW CANTLEY SCHOOL LANE
(west side, off)
3/55 Cantley Hall and
5th June 1968 attached outbuildings.
Country house (with attached outbuildings). 1785 for Childers Walbank
Childers (Miller p212); altered 1802 by Hurst of Doncaster for J. W. Childers
(Colvin. p522); ballroom added 1870 (Pevsner, p622). Stuccoed brick,
graduated Westmorland slate roof. 2 storeys; 2:3:2-bay entrance front with
lower 2-bay service wing set back on left; 3:2:3-bay garden front on right
return with 1-storey ballroom addition of 1870 on its right. Entrance front:
plinth, painted facade. Centre breaks forward and has 3-step stylobate to an
Ionic portico with paired side columns and single pilasters beneath dentilled
entablature; double panelled door within has overlight with decorative radial
glazing bars and corniced architrave. Other bays have projecting sills to
sashes with glazing (bays 6 and 7 walled-up internally). 1st floor: band
beneath windows as ground floor. Dentilled eaves cornice rising as central
3-bay pediment with apex stack; corniced ashlar parapet has balustraded
panels over outer bays. Hipped roof with various other stacks. Service
wing, set back on left, retains one sash with glazing bars to
1st-floor left. 1-storey outbuilding attached on left includes a projecting
octagonal game larder with open sides. Garden front (right return):
2-storey, 3-bay canted projections flank 2-bay centre. Altered ground-floor
fenestration of large sashes and French windows to bay 2, centre and bay 6.
1st floor as front (except centre bay has two 8-pane sashes). Cornice and
unpainted parapet as front. Ballroom addition on right: mullioned and
transomed 5 x 1-light bay-window projection has ovolo-moulded window
surrounds, cornice and miniature parapet with balustraded panel; semi-
circular window over; eaves cornice and coped parapet with balustraded panel.
Right return of ballroom 2 similar bay-window projections.
Interior: stair hall has stone paving with black insets; trompe l'oeil wall
panelling; wooden staircase with finely-turned balusters and cantilevered
flight rising to a landing set on Corinthian columns; domed lantern with
radial glazing bars and coved surround with husk garlands and paterae.
Front-right room is an elongated octagon with 6-panel doors and fine wooden
fire surround; Neo-classical wall panels and 2 semi-domed niches with side
pilasters and anthemion motifs; frieze with vases and cornice with guttae.
Adjacent room has fireplace with old iron grate and anthemion frieze. Rear-
right room is round-ended with wall panels as front-right room but with
excellent plaster ceiling having radial pattern of vases and anthemion motifs
set in a square with matching fan-shaped panels at each end; ceiling frieze
has vases and figurines in repetition. Ballroom of 1870: pine panelling and
painted panelling to match; gallery at one end; compartmented ceiling.
1st floor: small octagonal rooms in each canted projection. outbuildings;
game larder has stone benches, centre pole and rows of iron hooks; small room
adjacent has benches, troughs and weighing device on wall.
J. Miller, The History and Antiquities of Doncaster, 1804.
H. Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1650-1840,
N. Pevsner, B.O.E., 1967 ed.
Drawing signed 'Lindley 1802' in Hailstone Collection, York Minster Library
(similar but not identical to the design executed).
Listing NGR: SE6249102139
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.