Description: Church of St Oswald
Date Listed: 5 June 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 334903
OS Grid Reference: SE6092808130
OS Grid Coordinates: 460928, 408130
Latitude/Longitude: 53.5663, -1.0815
There is also a scheduled monument, Cross in the Churchyard of St Oswald's Church, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
BARNBY DUN MOOR LANE
SE 60 NW WITH KIRK SANDALL (north side),
Church of St. Oswald
5.6.68 (formerly listed as at
Church. C12, C14 and C16 with later additions, restored 1864 (by J. M.
Teale) and in 1935. Rubble and ashlar limestone, lead and tile roofs. 2-bay
aisled nave with south porch and truncated tower rising from aisle behind,
C20 north vestry; 2-bay chancel with larger 2-bay north chapel.
Nave: C12 south aisle has large quoins and pebble-work to lower courses;
1864 porch to bay 1 with pointed arch and hoodmould beneath coped gable with
cross; C12 south doorway within has a lightly-chamfered, 2-order round arch
having single order of columns with plain capitals; 2-light window to bay 2
(renewed in 1864) has pointed arch and hoodmould with carved-head stops; end
walls each have a small C12 window. Above bay 1 of aisle rises a single
stage of tower added in 1828 but truncated in 1935, it has a 2-light south
window and corniced eaves to pyramidal roof with louvred gablets. West wall
of nave (earlier C12) incorporates same herringbone courses above a C14
three-light west window with intersecting tracery and hoodmould with
weathered stops beneath gable quatrefoil. North aisle has buttresses
flanking a 2-light west window and 2-light north window to east of C20 vestry
which encloses a narrow triangular-headed doorway with hoodmould. Aisles
under catslide roofs from nave with C19 kneelers and gable copings with apex
crosses. Chancel: C12, rewindowed C15 with cusped 2-light south windows in
chamfered, square-headed surrounds; 3-light east window has panel tracery.
String course beneath ashlar parapet with roll-moulded copings and shallow
east gable with cross. Rokeby Chapel (to north ) built soon after 1521:
Perpendicular with cyma-moulded plinth and moulded band. East end, set
forward, has diagonal buttresses and string course beneath restored and
infilled 5-light window with cusped lights and panel tracery beneath
4-centred arch with hoodmould; heraldic shield beneath hollow string course
carved with animals; embattled parapet with apex niche, (pinnacles removed).
North side has diagonal west buttress and buttress between two 4-light
Interior: late C12 aisle arcades with half-round responds; octagonal piers
and broad, square capitals to plain round arches; round-headed piscina in
south aisle and complete embrasures to the C12 end windows; C19 roof.
Chancel: double-chamfered chancel arch, the inner order on corbels; moulded
and hollow-chamfered C15 arches from north aisle and from chancel into chapel
which has altered niches flanking the east window, arcading of cinquefoiled
blind panels on north wall and fine C16 roof with intricately-carved tie
beams, bosses at each crossing and central pendant boss.
Fittings: cylindrical Norman font on two-step plinth. Excellent traceried
wooden screens to west of chancel and chapel, the chancel screen of 3 : 2 : 3
divisions with crocketed, ogee panels to dado and central 4-panel door with
4-light tracery, the upper panels pierced; side panels set beneath small twin
ogee canopies; main shafts with tiny figures in niches at the capitals;
canopy has carved vinetrail and pierced cresting. The chapel screen similar
but of 1 : 2 : 1 divisions. Monuments in Rokeby Chapel: floor slabs include
that to Thomas Rokeby (d.1669). Large marble wall monument on east wall to
Thomas Rokeby (d.1621) has consoles with floral drops and cherubs head
flanking a domed oval plaque with Latin inscription, cartouche over and open
segmental pediment containing cartouche and mantling beneath draped urn. On
north wall the tomb of Archbishop William Rokeby (d.1521) with foiled,
4-panel base and canopy on shafts with foiled frieze and cresting; some
inscribed brasses within. To its left a weathered C17 cartouche above marble
plaque. On south wall a scrolled pedimented monument to William Rokeby
(d.1662) has shield of arms over. Brasses: on east wall a plate with 8 lines
of verse which originally marked the burial spot of Archbishap Rokeby.
Other brasses on floor to Thomas Boucher (d.1658) and wife Elizabeth
(d.1677). Stained glass: western north chapel window has jumbled C16 glass
with incomplete figures of saints.
Chapel built soon after the death of William Rokeby, Bishop of Meath,
Archbishop of Dublin and Chancellor of Ireland and formerly a vicar of Kirk
Sandal1. Church now in the care of the Redundant Churches Fund.
Council for Places of Worship Report ref. PM 821 (description and inventory).
P. F. Ryder, Saxon churches in South Yorkshire, County Archaelogy Monograph
No. 2, 1982 page 94 (plan).
Listing NGR: SE6092808130
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.