Description: The Maltings
Date Listed: 23 March 1988
Date Delisted: 17 December 2003
English Heritage Building ID: 334906
OS Grid Reference: SE6180208245
OS Grid Coordinates: 461802, 408245
Latitude/Longitude: 53.5672, -1.0683
BARNBY DUN WITH KIRK SANDALL
1487/8/42 STATION ROAD
23-MAR-88 BARNBY DUN
Malthouse. 'c1900, extended 1924. Pressed red brick in English garden wall
bond; Welsh slate C20 cement-tile and sheet asbestos roofs. 3 storeys with
partial basements and 2 attic storeys; 7 : 3 : 3 : 3 : 7 bays, the 10 bays to
left (south-west) being a matching extension of 1924; now symmetrical with
the outer 3-bay parts rising as gables and flanked by canopied hoist-houses
on south-east side facing adjacent railway. Generally, ground-floor windows
are segmentally-arched, lst-floor windows round-arched and 2nd-floor windows
pointed; all have stone sills and circular tie plates between on each floor;
flush, yellow-brick bands below and above 2nd-floor windows; cogged eaves.
South-east side: central part has widely-spaced windows on 2 floors only; to
right are pointed doors to 2 storeys beneath a glazed iron canopy. Flanking
gables are handed and have pointed ground-floor doorways, no lst-floor
windows and half-bricked-up 2nd floor windows; pointed gable windows and
continuous ridge louvres. End sections of building have doorways 2+ bays
from gables with boarded hoist-house canopies over having hipped roofs.
Rear: similar but without the hoist-houses; later additions not of special
Interior: gabled parts have boiler-houses in brick-vaulted semi-basements and
germinating floors over, paved with pierced tiles. Central part of building
with cast-iron columns with slots for bin partitions. End sections of
building have tiled floors and low ceilings on rows of cast-iron columns.
Shown on the 1905 O.S. map; deeds in possession of owner said to state that
the building was extended in 1924.
Listing NGR: SE6180208245
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.