British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of All Saints, Long Ashton

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 11 October 1961
English Heritage Building ID: 33501

OS Grid Reference: ST5534270956
OS Grid Coordinates: 355342, 170956
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4358, -2.6438

Location: Church Lane, Long Ashton, North Somerset BS41 9LU

Locality: Long Ashton
County: North Somerset
Country: England
Postcode: BS41 9LU

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

ST 57 SE LONG ASHTON CHURCH ROAD (south-east side)

G.V. II*

Parish Church (Anglican). C14 and C15; restored with much of the east end
rebuilt 1871-72. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, north porch, north
and south chapels, chancel and vestry. Rubble and coursed squared rubble with
freestone dressings; stone slate and slate roofs. West tower, probably late
C14 for Thomas de Lyons (Lyon arms are over the west window); 3 stages, the
lowest one is ashlar, with diagonal buttresses, and embattled parapet with
pinnacles and gargoyles; 4-light west window under hoodmould with stops;
2-light windows to second stage and bell chamber; west door in a pointed and
moulded surround, hoodmould with carved head stops; polygonal stair turret
projects to the north-east, embattled parapet with a spirelet. The remainder of
the church also has embattled parapets. North aisle and chapel has setback
buttresses; four 3-light Perpendicular style windows with cusped ogee heads to
the tracery. North porch: ashlar front with side buttresses; ogee-hollow-ogee
moulded doorway under a hoodmould with carved head stops. Chancel, vestry and
south chapel are all 1871-72: 5-light Perpendicular style east window; single
storey vestry. South aisle and chapel (the chapel is mostly 1871-72): four
3-light perpendicular style windows with cusped ogee heads; projecting polygonal
rood stair turret; south doorway has hoodmould with carved head stops.
Interior. North porch: C19 north door with an image niche over; two defaced
late C13 effigies, one to Willum de Snoudune, 1280. Nave: 4 bay arcade with
piers of 4 columns alternating with 4 wave mouldings; similar mouldings to the
chancel arch and arches to the north and south chapels. The tower arch has a
double wave moulding. Pulpit, C19 in a Perpendicular style, ashlar, hexagonal.
Font, restored; ashlar octagonal with a blank arcade of 2 cusped ogee panels to
each side; the top dates from 1950. Screens across the nave and aisle: very
high quality, probably late C15: 2-light divisions to the aisles,
the nave, all with perpendicular style tracery; cusped heads to the doorways,
the central one has a sound head; the top has 2 foliate friezes and 3 rows of
cresting. Glass: south chancel window has a late C15/early C16 set of figures
of the Four Doctors; other fragments. includes figures of ecclesiastics, knights
and ladies, roses and a winged lion. Monuments. North or Lady Chapel: Sir
Richard Choke and his wife, died 1486; 2 recumbent figures (he in the robes of
the Lord Chief Justice) with their heads supported by angels; on a tomb chest
with three large quatrefoils with shields; the back has angels holding the Choke
arms; the top has 5 hanging, cusped ogee gables with angels bearing arms.
North aisle: Elizabeth Smyth, c.1820, classical marble tablet, draped urn with
branches; Peto Maze, 1849 by Tyley of Bristol, Gothic with a cusped ogee canopy;
painted board with the arms of Charles II; Hester Fenn, 1835, by Walker of Bristol,
Greek revival marble tablet; William Fenn, 1785, classical marble tablet with an
urn over. Tower: all to members of the Smyth family; south side, Hugh 1690
and Elizabeth 1715 (formerly signed by George Townsend of Bristol), baroque,
inscribed marble panels, fluted pilasters, armorial bearings flanked by putti,
surmounted by segmental pediment and urns; above is a large, classical tablet
with an open pediment and arms; north side, Jane, 1818 and Thomas, 1800,
2 marble tablets with arms and draped urns; John 1802, classical marble tablet,
reeded pilasters with urn; Hugh, 1824, marble tablet, drapery over a cross and
chalice; Thomas Upton, 1840, Gothic. South aisle: set in a recess at the west
end is an ashlar tomb chest with quatrefoils set in the sides, probably late
C15/early C16; Mark Howell, 1810, by T. Clark of Bristol, classical tablet with
draped urn; Rebecca Stanton, 1822, by Lancaster and Walker, marble tablet with
an urn; Ford family, two superimposed Greek marble tablets; James Sparrow, 1804,
marble tablet with arms. Chancel: 3 elaborate Gothic style monuments to the
Smyth family, alabaster and marble, to Sir John 1849, Dame Emily 1914 and Sir
John Henry 1901. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and
Bristol, 1958. C. Woodforde, The Stained Glass of Somerset, 1250-1830, 1946).

Listing NGR: ST5534270956

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.