Description: Church of St Nicholas
Date Listed: 25 April 1969
English Heritage Building ID: 335437
OS Grid Reference: SK2671892542
OS Grid Coordinates: 426718, 392542
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4290, -1.5993
There is also a scheduled monument, Bailey Hill Motte and Bailey Castle, High Bradfield, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
SK29SE BRADFIELD TOWNGATE
9/114 Church of St. Nicholas
Church. Reused arcade piers of c1200. C14 tower, rest largely
Perpendicular. Ashlar gritstone, lead roofs. West tower, 4-bay aisled
nave with south porch and 3-bay chancel with 2-bay chapels. Wave-
moulded plinth,offset buttresses between bays, embattled parapets with
crocketed pinnacles throughout. West tower: 3 stages, plinth, tall
diagonal buttresses. West door beneath 2-light cusped Y-tracery
window. String course beneath similar 2-light bell openings. Another
string course beneath parapet with corner pinnacles. Clock on south
face dated 1867. Nave: South porch to bay 2 has diagonal buttresses.
3-light windows to other bays with panel tracery, depressed arches and
hoodmoulds. Small flat-pointed window to bay 3, doorway to right of
bay 4. Square-headed 2-light windows to clerestorey. Chapel and
chancel windows similar to south aisle. East window: 5 lights with
panel tracery and hoodmould beneath peaked stringcourse. Flanking
gargoyles, one in the form of dragon, the other a dog. Apex cross.
East window of north chapel has curvilinear tracery. North aisle has
square-headed windows of 3 and 4 lights, some cusped, some plain.
Tudor-arched 4-light window to north chapel. Interior: early work
evidenced by octagonal and round nave piers with hacked-off capitals,
keeled responds to chancel arch. All arches double-chamfered.
Unusual sunken vestry in south chapel. On north wall a Saxon cross
found in Low Bradfield and moved to church in 1886. Font: a plain
Norman bowl with tall C19 cover. Reredos: incorporates medieval
panels brought from Caen. Brass plaque fixed on south pier of chancel
depicts John Morewood and his family, dated 1647. Glass mostly c19,
early fragments in north aisle. Original nave roof with cambered tie
beams and carved bosses. Chancel roof is of 1901.
Listing NGR: SK2671992541
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.