Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 25 April 1969
English Heritage Building ID: 335457
OS Grid Reference: SK3530294221
OS Grid Coordinates: 435302, 394221
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4436, -1.4700
There is also a scheduled monument, Willow Garth Moated Site and Fishpond, Ecclesfield, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
SK39SE ECCLESFIELD CHURCH STREET
11/134 Church of St. Mary
Church. Arcade piers of c1200, rest largely Perpendicular. Ashlar
sandstone, lead roofs. Cruciform plan: 5-bay aisled nave with south
porch, crossing tower, and 3-bay chancel with north and south chapels.
A shallow single-bay projection in the angle of each aisle and
transept. Chamfered plinth beneath double wave-moulded bands, off-
set buttresses between bays, embattled parapets throughout with
crocketed pinnacles to all except aisles. Nave: south porch to bay 2
has half-detached angle buttresses with pinnacles linked to wall by
small flying buttresses. Similar buttresses to rest of south aisle.
Each bay has 3-light windows with transoms and cusped tracery,
depressed arches with hoodmoulds. 3-light arched clerestorey windows.
West end: recessed, arched doorway beneath west window of 5 lights
with panel tracery, 3-light aisle windows. Tower: 3 stages with
string course to each. Clock set in lozenge-shaped panel on south
wall, 2-light round-headed bell openings above. Gargoyles to string
course beneath embattled parapet with 8 pinnacles. South transept:
small recessed doorway beneath 5-light transomed south window with
cusped tracery. Chancel: 3-light windows to south chapel as aisle,
3-light windows to end bay of chancel withouttnnsom,. East window;
5 lights, panel tracery. Interior: fragment of C13 arch re-erected
within porch. North arcade piers cylindrical, south piers octagonal,
keeled responds to west wall, double-chamfered arches. Chancel arch
with 3 sunk quarter-round mouldings, half-octagonal responds,. Font:
octagonal on moulded plinth, bears date 1662, reworked. Rood screen
with traceried 2-light divisions, restored coving. Parclose screens
with single-light divisions. Stalls attached to rood screen have 2
misericords with heads, heads also carved on arms. Good carved
figures on bench ends in the north chapel. A south chapel bench end
bears the date 1564. Also in the south chapel, monument to
Sir Richard Scott, 1640 by William Wright, restored 1749: Recumbent
figure behind 2-bay arcade with taller central column, all set
within wrought iron enclosure. Chapels have fine original timber
roofs with bosses. C20 nave roof. Medieval glass in bay 1 of north
aisle otherwise good Victorian work detailed in Pevsner, Buildings
of England : Yorkshire The West Riding, 1967 ed. p190.
Listing NGR: SK3530394220
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.