Description: The Earl of Strafford
Date Listed: 29 April 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 335522
OS Grid Reference: SK4835897044
OS Grid Coordinates: 448358, 397044
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4679, -1.2730
SK49NE HOOTON ROBERTS DONCASTER ROAD
6/13 The Earl of Strafford
(formerly listed as
29.4.52 Manor House)
Manor house (as shown on 0. S. map) now public house and restaurant.
Late C16 or early C17 extensively rebuilt in late C18 and renovated
c1983-84. Irregularly-coursed sandstone rubble, stone slate roof
partly replaced by C20 tiles, brick stacks. 3-bay, double-pile,
central block with single-bay wing to each side. 2 storeys with
single-storey additions to left return. Entrance front: quoins.
Early C19 stone porch to left of central block has bracketed cornice
and peaked blocking course. 2 windows to right and 3 to 1st floor,
all unequal 15-pane sashes in square-faced surrounds. Similar ground-
floor window in wing to left. Wing to right: altered tripartite
window now with inserted doorway in widened left light. Tripartite
window to 1st floor. Hipped roofs with end stacks, stack to ridge
of left wing and to centre of main block. Garden front: extensive
traces of C16 or C17 work. To right of central block: infilled
Tudor-arched doorway beneath blocked 2-light, ovolo-moulded, mullioned
window, both now cut into by C19 architrave to glazed door and
window opening. lst-floor band truncated to left by 2 three-light,
ovolo-moulded mullioned windows with iron casements and leaded lights.
Above, 2 three-light mullioned and transomed stair-windows with leaded
lights incorporating 2 stained glass heraldic emblems (one badly damaged).
To right, an infilled ovolo-moulded surround and 2 other similar
surrounds now infilled and housing sashes in square-faced surrounds.
Interior: retains some Tudor-arched ashlar doorways in wing to left.
Previous list description states: 'Lady Strafford, third wife of the
first Earl, lived here from 1641 until her death in 1688, together
with her only daughter Margaret who died 1681'.
J. Hunter, 'South Yorkshire: The History and Topography of the Deanery
of Doncaster , vol 1, 1828, p400
Listing NGR: SK4835897044
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.