Description: Chapel of Our Lady
Date Listed: 19 October 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 335645
OS Grid Reference: SK4274093068
OS Grid Coordinates: 442740, 393068
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4327, -1.3582
There is also a scheduled monument, Old Bridge, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
SK49SW ROTHERHAM BRIDGE STREET
5/13 Chapel of
19.10.51 Our Lady
Bridge chapel. 1483, exterior restored 1924, interior restored 1980.
Deeply-coursed, ashlar sandstone; roof not visible. Small gable-entry building
set on north side of Rotherham Bridge (q.v.). Perpendicular with C20 tracery
in keeping. Single-storey with undercroft, 1 x 2 bays. Entrance front: moulded
plinth band interrupted by moulded, Tudor-arched doorway with hoodmould; small
slit window to its right; small 2-light window with hoodmould above. Peaked
string course beneath embattled parapet with crocketed pinnacles. Opposite gable:
slit window to undercroft flanked by offset buttresses. Plinth band continues
from entrance front beneath 4-light window with hoodmould, parapet as front has
apex pinnacle. Side walls each with two 3-light windows with hoodmoulds.
Interior: unimproved undercroft with remains of cell doors. C20 interior.
Probably founded by Archbishop Thomas Rotherham. In 1483 John Bokying bequeathed
3s 4d to the fabric of the chapel to be built on Rotherham Bridge (Hey). Used as
an almshouse before serving as town jail in 1779 (doors preserved in undercroft), used
as private house from 1826 but became tobacconist's shop from 1888-1913.
D. Hey, 'Rotherham Bridge', Archaeological Journal, vol 137, 1980, p430.
P. F. Ryder, Medieval Buildings of Yorkshire, 1982, p82 (plate).
Listing NGR: SK4274093067
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.